Natasha Coutinho (MUMBAI MIRROR; July 5, 2017)

Mandana Karimi, a Bigg Boss 9 contestant, has filed a case of domestic violence against husband Gaurav Gupta and his family six months into their marriage. The couple got hitched in January in what she had described as a “surreal court marriage” (January 28) followed by a star-studded reception. The Iranian model-actor had been dating the Mumbai-based entrepreneur for over two years. On their third anniversary, he’d popped the question at a five-star in Shillim. The romance, however, seems to have faded away since, with Mandana alleging that Gaurav’s family forced her out of their marital home.

When prodded on why she was thrown out, she revealed that after an argument with her husband, she had gone to a friend’s to cool down. “When I returned, they wouldn’t let me enter and have stopped communicating with me,” she said.

She went on to inform that she has been kept out of her home for seven weeks now. “I’ve been staying with friends or in a hotel, it’s been really tough. Where will I get the money to survive?” she questioned. When asked about her family, she pointed out that they live in Iran and though they have been a constant support, they’re unable to fly to Mumbai to be with her. “Some of my friends have come down but my family is not here and I don’t have a place to stay. I am not in touch with anyone from Bigg Boss so I don’t think any of them are aware of my plight,” she sighed.

Before she settled for marital bliss, Mandana had featured in Ekta Kapoor’s sex comedy, Kya Kool Hain Hum 3 in a lead role, as also in films like Roy, Bhaag Johnny and Main Aur Charles. “But I stopped working after marriage at my husband’s behest. Gaurav wouldn’t agree to me acting in films or doing television so I stopped working completely after Bigg Boss and chose to work on my marriage and relationship. It wasn’t the smartest option,” she admitted.

In an interview to a daily earlier in the day, she claimed that she had converted for the wedding which took place according to Hindu rituals. Her complaint states that she was forced to convert. It was a pre-condition to her getting married even though it was completely against her wishes.

According to her, trouble started when her mother-in-law, Madhu Gupta, realised that her son was planning to move out of the family home and separate the business and reportedly told Gaurav to choose between Mandana and her.

But the model-actress, who alleges that she was constantly insulted and abused by her mother-in-law, still wants to return to the house. “I didn’t leave my house, I love it. I haven’t been allowed to enter the house or even my husband’s office but that doesn’t mean I should get divorced. I am still his wife, I love Gaurav,” she asserted, adding. “I haven’t filed for divorce, I have only filed a domestic violence case.”

By her own admission, Gaurav had gone out of his way to woo her. “I never expected it to end up as a horror story,” she sighed. “You never expect things will turn bad when you are in love. Unfortunately, that’s what happened to me.”

Mirror tried to get in touch with Gaurav Gupta, his brother Gautam and mother Madhu. While Gautam chose not to respond to our many calls and messages, Madhu texted back saying, “Sorry I can’t talk right now.”