Shah Rukh Khan
Sonil Dedhia (MID-DAY; July 5, 2017)

If there’s something that can rival Shah Rukh Khan’s acting skills, it is his oratory. After charming the audience with his signature wit and humour at his maiden TED Talk in Vancouver in April, the actor is ready to weave magic with his words again – this time at Oxford University. Khan confirms to mid-day that he has accepted the invitation to deliver a lecture at the prestigious university and is in the process of working out his dates.

“I love to talk,” says Khan with a smile, before adding, “Whenever someone invites me to deliver a speech, I always consider it an opportunity. I have been to Yale earlier (in 2012) and now, I have received an invitation from Oxford. I’ll go if I have the time and if it fits into my scheme of things.” Khan was invited by Alan Rusbridger, the Principal of Oxford University, in November last year, when the latter wrote to the superstar on Twitter, “Can we tempt you to Oxford University to talk to our students @lhmoxford? They love you (I’m the principal).”

Khan’s speech at the recent TED Talk too was met with tremendous appreciation. While people normally talk about their success stories on the platform, he chose to speak about humanity, love and the relevance of fame during his speech. Talking about his association with the global conference association, he says, “I have always liked TED Talks and have grown up watching them. So, if I am invited for it, it’s a big honour. I get to learn a lot of things from the people who come to hear me out. It’s a fulfilling experience to stand amongst people who have achieved so much and exchange ideas with them. Otherwise, we are just in a cocoon and keep discussing, ‘Bhai, India mein business kitna hua?’”

Khan might be busy juggling the promotions of Jab Harry Met Sejal and the shoot of Aanand L Rai’s untitled venture, but he insists that he will make the time to write his own speech for Oxford. “I don’t like anyone writing for me. It takes time for me to sit down and write, given my schedule, but it has to be done by me. I am yet to zero in on a subject for this talk.”