Neha Maheshwri (BOMBAY TIMES; July 5, 2017)

Mandana Karimi, who got married to Mumbai-based busi nessman Gaurav Gupta in January this year, has accused her husband and his family of domestic violence. The actress and reality TV star has also filed for divorce.

Amidst other allegations, the divorce petition states that Gaurav forced her to convert from Islam to Hinduism ahead of their wedding. She was also asked to quit acting. Mandana claims that she has now been barred from entering her marital home.

Talking to BT, she says, “My husband fell in love with me because I am a strong and independent woman, but I didn't know that Indian mothers-in-law are so controlling. I quit acting as my husband didn't want me to pursue it after marriage. I now realise that listening to him was my biggest mistake. I want to tell women not to quit work after marriage. I wanted mine to be a happy marriage, but I have been harassed. Now, I have been thrown out of my matrimonial house and I'm left with no money.“

EXCERPTS FROM MANDANA'S DIVORCE PETITION
Post marriage also, I was kept in the matrimonial house in Juhu as a prisoner. It was a big house and we all lived together as a joint family. It was my shared household and I was in a domestic relationship with all the Respondents. I was not given any privacy or any say in my own matrimonial house. I was not allowed to work. The Respondent No. 2 (Madhu Gupta, Gaurav's mother) continued with her insulting nature towards me. I was not allowed to meet my friends outside nor was allowed to have my friends in my matrimonial house.

I was going through depression at this juncture of my life. The Respondent No. 1 (Gaurav) told me that he intended to stay with me separately in their flat in Juhu. The Respondent No.1 told me that in order to avoid complications, fights and confrontations at home I should forthwith leave the matrimonial house. The Respondent No. 1 told me that he would immediately terminate the leave and licence agreement with the licensee and that he would move us into the flat... I didn't have any support system in Mumbai and my family was far away in Iran. Respondent No. 1 sent two bags filled with some of my old clothes leaving behind my jewellery, engagement ring and expensive belongings like watches, perfumes, shoes, dresses, wedding clothes/dresses, cosmetics etc. For quite a few days I continued to stay in the hotel. The Respondent No. 1 then told me that the process of vacating the licensee from the Juhu flat may take some time and that in the meantime I should go to Iran and stay with my family. The moment I left for Iran, the Respondent No. 1 reduced his interaction with me. I also learnt from some of our common friends that Respondent No. 1 had tricked me out of my matrimonial house with no intention of having me back in his life.

I was shocked and I immediately returned to India. I tried to contact Respondent No. 1, but he avoided to meet me. I thus visited my matrimonial house but was not allowed to enter my room which was locked and the security was directed to remove me out of my own matrimonial house. I thus again contacted the Respondent No. 1.The Respondent No. 1 met me and told me to stay in one Hotel in Bandra. By now, I had realised that the Respondents had conspired to just get rid of me and drive me out of my matrimonial house and also divest me of all my rights.

I have now come on roads and has been left without anything. I have been subjected to gross cruelty and harassment and have been put into severe pain and agony. I have been cheated and used as a commodity as per their whims and fancies.