Mohar Basu (BOMBAY TIMES; May 24, 2016)

The very thought of Kalki Koechlin and Naseeruddin Shah in the same frame is bound to intrigue people. In their upcoming film Waiting, directed by Anu Menon, the actors beautifully depict the unlikely friendship between two people, who despite their grief learn to live, love and laugh. Produced by Priti Gupta and Manish Mundra, it premiered at the Dubai International Film Festival (DIFF). The film that also stars Rajat Kapoor, Arjun Mathur and noted filmmaker Mani Ratnam's wife, Suhasini, traces the story of a retired professor whose wife is in coma for eight months and how he strikes a friendship with a young woman whose husband has been in an accident. The actors had a ball of a time working together. In a quick chat, they talk about their views on marriage, children and the common thread that binds them - their love for cinema.

Amongst one of Kalki's favourite Naseer films is Jaane Bhi Do Yaaron. She was obviously curious to hear about his experience of the movie and he described it as “nightmarish“. “Everybody thinks that we had a hell of a lot fun, but in those days there were no air-conditioned vans. All of us were struggling actors and only Satish Shah had a car,“ he recounts.

Naseer, too, has been a silent admirer of Kalki's work and finds her repertoire exemplary. When he asks Kalki what between acting, writing and modelling does she enjoy the most, she is quick to say, “I have always wanted to act. When I started my career, I was such a hippie. I hated dressing up and spending two hours on makeup and hair. However, now I am just going with the flow.“

The two then go on to discuss the core theme of their film Waiting, which is happiness. “I think both happiness and success is the confidence to do what you please. I don't equate success with fame, fortune or awards. These things don't fascinate me. In fact, awards create a competitive feeling amongst actors which is not healthy,“ says Naseer. For Kalki, success is an impetus. “I am not much of a fan of awards either. It's a bonus, but it won't get me more work. But winning the national award (for Margarita With A Straw) was a different feeling,“ she says.

This film revolves around a unique relationship between the pair that is above the conventional bonds of matrimony. Some relationships are like that, but marriage has its own value, says Naseer. “I was married at very early age and had the attitude of a kid with no idea of the responsibilities it entailed. I really failed at it (the first marriage) and it ended very unhappily. But it didn't put me off the idea of it,“ says the actor, who is now married to actress Ratna Pathak Shah. Kalki, who was married to filmmaker Anurag Kashyap, asserts she isn't keen on getting married again. “I don't feel my marriage was a failure, but we parted ways. I don't like the fact that everyone from the in-laws to society asserts that just because you are a couple, you need to agree on everything,“ she says.

However, the two concede that separation has become an easy resort for people these days. “Frankly, it is a concern for me because I have not lost faith in the institution of marriage. I don't conform to tradition, but I understand the worth of a family,“ says Naseer. Kalki feels that marriage has become less important to people. “The institution of marriage was about protecting property and procreating. But now you can have a partnership and can still manage the same. At the end of the day, I do believe in the idea of love and I respect people who decide to spend their life together,“ she adds.

Even though Kalki says that she isn't keen on getting married now, she wants to have children some day. Naseer, who dotes on his kids, says, “Children are precious. But you have to love them enough to let them go. I found that despite all my resolutions of not being like my dad, I was laying down similar rules for my kids. I had to completely let my kids go as I knew that they would find their way just like I did. My dad had no control over what I did and I have no control over what my kids are doing. But when I was shooting for Waiting, I shuddered to think what if my children were to be in a situation like the one in this movie.“

Kalki and Naseer say that the film gave them a fresh perspective on living with courage, loving with faith and laughing with hope. “To live with courage is to have the spunk to do what your heart bids you to do. I think love and faith are synonymous and laughter is the most important component. If there is no joy, no fun, then it is all futile,“ signs off Naseer.

Waiting, produced by Ishka Films (Priti Gupta) and Drishyam Films (Manish Mundra), releases May 27.