Emraan Hashmi's smoking style in Gunmaaster G9 inspired by Anand Bakshi’s quirky habit
10:05 AM
Posted by Fenil Seta

Mohar Basu (MID-DAY; September 29, 2026)
Direction may not have happened to Aditya Datt, had it not been for his maternal grandfather, celebrated lyricist Anand Bakshi. It was Bakshi who recognised and encouraged Datt’s interest in cinema. In a sweet gesture of remembrance, the director has included one of his grandfather’s quirks in his upcoming film, Gunmaaster G9. Recalling that the lyricist had a distinctive way of smoking, he suggested that leading man Emraan Hashmi incorporate it in his character.
“My grandfather used to smoke in a particular way. I told Emraan that he should smoke like that,” shared Datt.
The director remembered that as soon as Bakshi understood his grandson’s interest in filmmaking, he tested his storytelling instinct. It was the lyricist, in fact, who guided him to learn the craft from filmmaker Mahesh Bhatt.
Datt recalled, “When I told my grandfather that I wanted to make films, he didn’t simply dismiss it as a passing phase. He actually tested me. He asked me to narrate a story, heard me out, and then told me to go meet Mahesh Bhatt. That was his way of figuring out whether I was serious about cinema.”
If Bakshi had a knack for telling stories through his simple and emotional lyrics rooted in truth, Datt’s language is more heightened and emphatic. With Gunmaaster G9 that also stars Genelia Deshmukh, the director has told the story of Hashmi’s protagonist who sheds his peaceful life and turns into an assassin after a mafia syndicate threatens his wife.
The director reflected, “My way of narrating cinema is that I do larger-than-life things. It’s not reality because I’m not making a documentary or trying to be realistic, but it has to have screen logic when you see it. I need to give the answers on the screen.”
This entry was posted on October 4, 2009 at 12:14 pm, and is filed under
Aditya Datt,
Anand Bakshi,
Bollywood News,
Emraan Hashmi,
Gunmaaster G9,
Mahesh Bhatt
. Follow any responses to this post through RSS. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment