World knew him as Dev Anand’s son. I knew him as Suneil sir, says Chargesheet actor Anish Vikramaditya
4:35 PM
Posted by Fenil Seta
Tanvi J Trivedi (MUMBAI MIRROR; August 3, 2026)
Actor-filmmaker Suneil Anand, who passed away on July 26 at the age of 70 following a heart attack in London, leaves behind not just the legacy of being Dev Anand’s son, but also memories of a man who was remembered for his humility and compassion. Actor Anish Vikramaditya, who shared an 18-year friendship with Suneil Anand, said, “The world knew him as Dev Anand’s son. I knew him as Suneil sir.”
The two first met in 2008 during the making of Dev Anand’s film Chargesheet, where Anish played the hero.
He shared, “There was absolutely no trace of arrogance despite belonging to one of Indian cinema’s most respected families. Suniel sir treated everyone — from technicians to senior industry personalities — with the same respect.”
Anish also credits Suneil with giving him an identity that remains one of the proudest moments of his career. “It was during Chargesheet that he suggested the screen name ‘Anish Vikramaditya’ for me, and Dev Sahab approved it. That remains one of the greatest honours of my life.”
Their last conversation took place on June 30, when Suneil spoke enthusiastically about his upcoming film Vagator Mixer. “‘I am just completing it and I am coming back. I have made a great film,’ he told me. We didn’t speak after that,” said Anish.
According to Anish, Suneil’s greatest quality was his integrity. “I personally saw influential people make him lucrative offers, but if something went against his principles, he simply refused. No amount of money or influence could make him compromise his values.”
One of Anish’s most cherished memories is watching Suneil care for his father, during the Chargesheet schedule in Mahabaleshwar. “He personally ensured Dev Sahab took his medicines on time and looked after every small detail himself. Those responsibilities could have been delegated, but he did everything out of love.”
The last photograph they took together has now become one of Anish’s most treasured possessions. “Outside his Pali Hill residence, beside the Padma Bhushan Dev Anand Road sign, I requested Suneil sir for the photographs, as we were standing beside the Padma Bhushan Dev Anand Road sign, which was very meaningful to both of us. With his characteristic warmth, he kindly took my phone and clicked a few individual photographs of me before we took our selfie together. I never imagined it would become our last photograph.”
This entry was posted on October 4, 2009 at 12:14 pm, and is filed under
. Follow any responses to this post through RSS. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment