Prithviraj Sukumaran addresses Jana Gana Mana comparisons with Daayra
9:13 AM
Posted by Fenil Seta

Portraying a cop under investigation in ‘Daayra’, Prithviraj Sukumaran says it’s creatively satisfying to embrace characters that share different values from him and do them justice
Mohar Basu (MID-DAY; September 2, 2026)
A day after the trailer of Daayra dropped, Prithviraj Sukumaran says he is already aware of the comparisons being drawn between the Meghna Gulzar directorial and his own 2022 film Jana Gana Mana. But while the similarities may seem apparent from the trailer, the actor insists that the two films are fundamentally different. For him, the distinction lies in what happens after the central incident.
“You know what, for someone who assumes what this film is about from having seen the trailer, it is understandable that they might think these films are similar. But these films are very different from each other. I think the understandable assumption right now is that Daayra is about an incident. Daayra is not about an incident. Daayra is about what follows after the incident. The incident in itself is nearly a catalyst for the series of events that then form the narrative of the film. In one fashion, Daayra is very much a procedural and two different perspectives about the same procedure. Unlike Jana Gana Mana, it's not really about the incident. And even in terms of tonality, what the film speaks about, what the film is about, these two films are very different from each other.”
The film, which sees Prithviraj as police officer Raman Kumar opposite Kareena Kapoor Khan’s Ajooni Kohli, also presented the actor with a character whose morality he did not necessarily have to share. In fact, that was precisely what attracted him to the part.
“That’s what I enjoy most actually. What really excites me as an actor is to be playing people that I do not agree with fully. And having said that, Raman is not somebody who I disagree with fully either. But what is interesting is also, as an actor, you need to be able to step back and look at the film as a whole. What is it that your character serves within the narration? So with Daayra, basically the filmmaker is presenting a debate and she is presenting both sides of the argument to you. And the film and the filmmaker is merely playing the mediator. I should be fully aware that I am an instrument as an actor to prop up one side of the argument. So even if I do not agree with all that Raman thinks and does, or if I completely agree with all that Ajooni thinks and does, I need to go about Raman’s character arc with complete conviction.”
That conviction, however, came with plenty of questions. Prithviraj admits that he had several arguments with Gulzar during the making of the film, particularly when his understanding of Raman came up against his own instincts.
“There were a lot of questions that I kept asking because there was this constant struggle in your mind as to why would he do that? Why would he say that? Why would he react that way? And the fact is that those arguments come about in your mind because you are at loggerheads with the character. And what really helps you at times like that is that you have a filmmaker, you have a director who is so crystal clear with what the character said, what she wants the actor playing the character to do, that she gives you very specific answers to your questions. And that really helped me. I am sure even Kareena will tell you the same thing, that there was never a single question from an actor on sets to which Meghna did not have a proper, clear answer.”
He credits Gulzar’s meticulous preparation for creating that clarity. The actor, who initially did not think he would be able to accommodate the film in his schedule, says the narration changed his mind.
“When I got a call to meet Meghna Gulzar, I told my manager that I will definitely meet Meghna because I am a big fan of her work, but this is most likely going to be me meeting her in person and very sadly telling her that as much as I would love to work with you, I don't think I am going to be able to do what you want to do right now. But Meghna actually didn’t even start off by asking me about when, what, etc. She just said, ‘I would like to tell you a story,’ and she just gave me a narration even before we started talking about when and how. I had no clue this was what she was making. When she told me the story and what she wanted to say and what she wanted to do with the subject matter, I was like, I really would like to do it. And I told her, right now I don’t know, but I am going to somehow find time to do this film because I think it would be a privilege as an artist to be part of something like this.”
That faith in Gulzar’s process was reinforced once he reached the set. Prithviraj describes her as one of the most studious filmmakers he has worked with, with an unusually elaborate pre-production process.
“Meghna’s test shoots, to quote an example, Meghna’s test shoots are more elaborate than some actual shoots I’ve been part of. Just for a test shoot, I remember we put up a set in Mehboob and we got all the actors in costume and we spent the whole day filming an entire sequence and it was just a test shoot. So I asked her why would you do this, because we anyway have to shoot the scene again, and it’s actually a very important scene in the film. And she had this wonderful answer. She said, ‘I don’t want anybody to feel like it’s their first day at shoot on my first day of shoot.’ I didn’t quite get it then, but then I realized when I actually landed up on day one of shoot that we were all just picking up from where we left off. And it’s that process that helps her finish these films in such tight scheduling. She shoots very, very fast. I don’t even remember a single day where we couldn’t finish our dailies. She has a very specific set of shots and she’s already shot the entire scene with her assistants, and she has screengrabs from the test shoot as a storyboard on a file on location. She’s that studious, and it really, really helps.”
Yet for all the preparation, Gulzar also gave her actors room to bring their own interpretations to the material. Prithviraj says that became one of the most rewarding aspects of working on Daayra.
“My agreement with Meghna was that I’ll do it one way that you want me to and I’ll do it one way that I want to, and she’s indulged me so much with this. Usually what Meghna does is before the actors arrive on set, she will actually play out the scene with her cinematographer so that he will have a rough idea about how the general light-up is. Then she’ll call the actors and make them move through these points that she has choreographed. I remember from day two she said, ‘Okay, with your scenes, I’m not going to do it. I’m just going to wait till you come and then you come and tell me how you want to move around, how you want to do the scene.’ When a filmmaker says that to you, immediately what happens to the equation is you start thinking there is a big responsibility on me now. There’s a big responsibility because the filmmaker is telling me, ‘I’m going to give you my text, I’m going to give you my scene and I’m going to ask you, how do you want to play this? How have you seen this?’ And what that does to you is every day when you go back home, you’re thinking of the next day’s scene because I know tomorrow morning when I go, Meghna is going to ask me where do you think Raman is going to be when he says this. And that sort of makes you such an integral part of the process of the character and the film. That was a joy doing that.”
The experience also speaks to how Prithviraj has evolved as an actor since becoming a filmmaker himself. He says directing has actually made it easier for him to surrender control when he is on another director’s set.
“Ever since I became a director, I’m just very easily able to switch off the filmmaker in me. I have to admit it was a bit of a struggle before that. Till I made my first film, I have had many instances where the filmmaker in me would just keep arguing with what is in my mind and what is being done and all that. But somehow I think ever since I have become a director and I’ve started making films, I now am so comfortable walking onto a set and then completely trusting the other person’s process and telling myself, enjoy the surrender. Just completely surrender as an actor to someone else’s vision, method, process, and your job as an actor is to make sure you facilitate that process. And I’m really comfortable doing that now. It is strange that it should happen after I’ve become a filmmaker, but I think the experience of having directed three films has taught me how to switch that on and off.”
For Prithviraj, surrender does not mean suppressing questions or opinions. It means recognizing that his own interpretation is not necessarily the only correct one. “There have been multiple instances where I’m on set and I feel like this is really not how I expected this film to pan out or this is really not how I expected this scene to be conceived. But I’m also experienced enough now to tell myself that just because this is not what you expected does not mean what is happening is wrong. You are here as an actor. You are here to support and facilitate someone else’s vision. Like I said, I have done this long enough to understand that my way is not the only right way. And there have been times I have gone wrong also. There have been times when I have been on sets and I have thought something is going very wrong and it has come out spectacularly right as well. So it’s the free-falling nature of your business and your work that keeps you going.”
That philosophy appears to have extended to his equation with Kareena. Rather than seeing Raman and Ajooni simply as opposites, Prithviraj views them as fundamentally similar people who have arrived at opposite ends of an argument.
“My view of Ajooni and Raman is that they are actually very similar kind of people but on opposite ends of the argument. Their belief system and their ideology might be very different, but the type of people they are, they are actually quite similar. It’s impossible to shake the belief system they have within them. It’s impossible to shake them and they are so steadfast in their belief and their conviction that the system around them, the society within which they exist, their interpersonal relationships, nothing, they are immune to all that as far as their belief is concerned. So it is so interesting that when you realize there is someone opposite you playing somebody very similar, standing for something so different. And of course, it helps that Kareena Kapoor is a brilliant actor. Daayra has a kind of screenplay where you are reading the script and then you are reading the other person’s scenes and you are hoping, I really wish she does it this way because that would make this scene where I am doing it this way so much more valid. And it is such a joy when you finally discover that the interpretations were so similar. I think it is a masterclass by Meghna on how to handle two actors playing two characters like these because I am sure it has happened because she has fed both Kareena and me exactly what she should. One of the greatest facets of Meghna is how she handles actors and makes sure, without you even knowing, that you end up doing exactly what she wants. I keep teasing her even when she says, ‘No, no, with you, you only do what you want.’ She is just pulling my leg. She is actually making me do what she wants, but she will make you do that in a way where you end up thinking, ‘Oh, I got my way.’”
Meghna Gulzar, the “studious” filmmaker
‘Daayra’ marks Prithviraj Sukumaran’s first collaboration with the director, and he is deeply impressed by her clarity. “There was never a single question from an actor to which Meghna did not have an answer. She is one of the most studious filmmakers I’ve worked with. The amount of research and pre-production she does is exhausting. Meghna’s test shoots are more elaborate than some film shoots I’ve been part of,” he remarked.
This entry was posted on October 4, 2009 at 12:14 pm, and is filed under
. Follow any responses to this post through RSS. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment