I don’t want to be tied to one show like a bandhua mazdoor-Rakesh Bedi
9:39 AM
Posted by Fenil Seta
Neha Maheshwri (MUMBAI MIRROR; August 25, 2026)
With Jameel Jamali in Dhurandhar adding another memorable character to his repertoire, Rakesh Bedi is enjoying a phase where he can move freely between films, OTT and theatre. While the veteran actor continues to make occasional appearances in Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah and also in the recently concluded Bhabi Ji Ghar Par Hai!, he has little inclination to return to the 25-day-a-month grind of a daily soap.
He says, “I make appearances in Taarak Mehta mainly because I also want to remain relevant to today’s generation. But I can’t commit 25 days a month to one show anymore. Main bandhua mazdoor nahi banna chahta. Why should I give 25 days to one thing when I can do 20 other things? I do theatre, write plays, direct, travel, do films and OTT projects, and also take lectures on acting. Everything would have to be put on hold if I were stuck with one project indefinitely.”
The financial security and visibility that television offers are not priorities for Bedi. He adds, “I just want to satisfy my hunger as an actor. Money is not everything. Maybe I am earning less than what others are earning, but I don’t mind that.”
His 48-year association with theatre has shaped his approach to acting and continues to inform the way he builds his characters.
He recalls, “For my show, Shrimaan Shrimati, the note sent by the director and writer was simply that he was a henpecked husband. But taking it beyond that and making the character memorable is an actor’s job. What comes into play in all these things is my theatre background of 48 years, without a single gap in any month. Meri life mein koi aisa mahina nahi hai jab maine manch par kadam nahi rakha, except during COVID. Theatre allows you to experiment a lot.”
This entry was posted on October 4, 2009 at 12:14 pm, and is filed under
Coronavirus,
Interviews,
Rakesh Bedi,
Rakesh Bedi interview,
Shrimaan Shrimati,
Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah
. Follow any responses to this post through RSS. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment