Exploring the uncharted

Niharika Lal (DELHI TIMES; October 13, 2024)

“People have this perception that Delhiites are like Chucha (from Fukrey); they are all loud. But Oye Lucky! Lucky Oye is also Delhi, Vicky Donor is also Delhi,” says Naveen Kasturia, while discussing the image and reputation of the city.

Even if critics felt he doesn’t quite look like a typical Delhi guy, he’ll tell you there is no one format for Dilli ka ladka. In conversation with us, Naveen speaks about his hometown, his popular roles, and how he fell in love with Delhi again.

‘WHEN VICKY DONOR CAME OUT, I’D TELL PEOPLE THAT THIS IS MY STORY’
Naveen grew up in Lajpat Nagar and before moving to Bombay 16 years ago. “Main pura Lajpat Nagar Amar Colony ka product hoon. In fact, when Vicky Donor came out, I’d tell people this is my story. He was from Lajpat Nagar, so am I. Usmein mujhe flaw bhi dikhta tha – woh (Ayushmann’s character) Lajpat se metro leta tha, but people from there use the Moolchand metro station.”

‘Khosla Ka Ghosla represents Delhi’
Naveen says he’s always told that he doesn’t look like he is from Delhi. He says, “I did a film called Sulemani Keeda in which two characters are trying to make it big in Bollywood. Uske ek review mein likha tha, ‘Arey ye Dilli ke bane hue hain ladke, ye Dilli ke toh lagte nahi.’ Ab main Dilli ka hoon aur Dilli ke ladke ka role kar raha hoon, I’m playing myself in a way!”

He adds, “Mere liye badi inspiring film thi Khosla Ka Ghosla. Usmein Khosla sahab ke jo do ladke hain Bunty (played by Ranveer Shourie) aur Chiraunjilal (Parvin Dabas) dono alag hain. That film represents Delhi, I feel.”

‘I find central Delhi very pretty in mornings’
In the last few years, the actor fell in love with Delhi again. He shares, “I think I was shooting for Aspirants, and I’d shoot in central Delhi early in the morning, around 6 am, and I’d find the city very pretty. Main uss waqt wahan jata tha toh mujhe aisi feeling aati thi ki mujhe desh ke liye kuch karna hai. Main roz uss DM ke kirdar mein ghusta tha, waise kapde pehenta tha. At that time I started thinking about doing a job where I could contribute to the country. Maine ek dost se baat ki aur usne kaha, ‘Iss umr mein tu defence mein ja sakta hai kisi tareeqe se, lekin IAS toh ab tu nahi ban sakta.”

‘I really want to do roles set in different worlds’
Talking about the roles he gets, he says, “Sometimes I’ve been slotted into the role of a common guy trying to achieve something, but I really want to do roles set in different worlds. Only when people see me in diverse roles and settings will they start thinking of me in different parts. That’s why I was so happy when I got Breathe and Mithya. I did a role in the second season of Mithya because I really liked the character and the world in which it is set. It’s a really complex part. We shot most of the scenes in Darjeeling. Mithya ke baad Rajit Kapur mere favourite co-actor ban gaye hain. Jab aap manjhe huye actor ke saath kaam karte hain, toh kai baar aap woh cheezein kar jaate hain jo aapne sochi bhi nahi hoti hain.”