Divya Dutta (left) as Shabbo in with Preity Zinta in Veer Zaara (2004)

Iti Shree Misra (BOMBAY TIMES; October 2, 2024)

Divya Dutta, who celebrated her birthday recently, also completed three decades in the industry this year. In conversation with us, the actress looks back on her choices, both profession and personal, and how she is in a comfortable space in both aspects of her life.

People would wonder what category to fit me in
Starting her career in an industry known for its defined boxes — commercial cinema vs parallel cinema, the quintessential heroine vs character actors — Divya Dutta often found herself walking a path less travelled.

“People would wonder, what category do I fit into? Is she a commercial or parallel cinema actress? A heroine or a character actor?” Dutta recalls.

“But despite the industry’s initial confusion, I was determined to create my own path. 30 years later, I still get roles written for me,” she adds with a sense of gratitude. “When someone comes and says, ‘This is for you, you can do this,’ it’s the most gratifying feeling. It’s not common to be in a profession where you are exactly where you want to be, doing what you love,” she says.

There’s been a lot of ‘nos’ along the way
From playing a romantic lead to a negative character, Divya has done it all. “I was often told I couldn’t do certain roles. I was told I was too soft for negative characters. But when someone tells me I can’t do something, it becomes a challenge for me,” she says with a laugh. “There were lots of ‘no’s’ along the way,” she admits.

“People thought I was crazy for turning down the offers I got, but I followed my gut. Nobody can say I’m just a romantic heroine or a softy or a lady don. I’ve worked hard to ensure that my body of work is as diverse as possible. There was this production house that offered me a role and halfway through the narration I said no, I don’t want to do this. They asked me kya hua so I told them that I don’t think I will enjoy playing this character. They were also very sporting and accepted my decision. Now, I just say no if I don’t like a role. I don’t like any ambiguities, pretence mujhe karna nahi aata. Bahut kar li diplomacy, jab nayi-nayi aayi thi tab karti thi, but now I just like to be straighforward. Ab pyaar so bolna nahi aata hai, ab toh bas ‘chup kar, mujhe nahi karna hai’ kehti hoon. And I think I deserve it now and trust me, I have worked in better projects with the same people.” (laughs)

OTT and theatre-watching will never be in competition
With several releases lined up on the big screen and OTT, Divya feels the two can never compete. “I think OTT and theatrical releases need a good marriage, like a film released in theatres should be on OTT after 6 months. Also we need OTT for small films. A film like Laapataa Ladies had a backing of Aamir Khan Productions, 12th Fail had Vidhu Vinod Chopra backing it, so they could be marketed, publicised and released in theatres. But ab agar ek chhoti film hai, kam budget wali, woh kahan hi jayegi. So for such projects OTT is a boon. But theatrical releases will never go. In recent times we have had so many re-releases, toh woh charm to badi screen ka rahega hi,” she says, adding, “What I really feel is that we need good writers. Film chahe chhoti ho ya badi, agar story gripping nahi hai toh audience nahi dekhegi, chahe OTT pe ho, ya theatres mein. The audience these days is very clever and discerning, so we now need big names in acting only for the initial push, uske baad toh story is what counts. Content nahi, toh audience nahi.”

I don’t want any kind of toxicity in my life
Single and being very happy about it, Divya says she is very happy being by her ownself. “I would love a companion but I don’t miss out on it. I think that’s because I am very content in my space now, with all your experiences that you come with. I don’t want any kind of toxicity in my life now. When a good partner comes into my life, I think I will know. Until then I don’t want any timepasses,” says the actress who celebrated her birthday earlier this week.

“I do have a lot of male attention, but sometimes you are in that phase where you are very happy with the work that you’re doing and I think I am in that space. Also, at this stage in my life, for me what is of utmost importance is peace of mind. So when you’re peaceful in your heart and mind, then only you can give your best in any situation you are in, personal and professional. Baki I think woh completeness hum jo doosron mein dhoondte hain, I don’t think I’m in that place where I want completeness with someone. But companion most definitely. I would love to travel with someone, would love to go on these romantic outings as I am a diehard romantic. But with a very right person. I’m not wanting marriage in my life, surely. I mean I shouldn’t say no ever, but I think I will be happier with a companion. Until then, I am my best companion right now and I wouldn’t like it any other way. Maje aa rahe hain!”

Lesson for life
Dutta fondly recalled a lesson she learned from filmmaker Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra while working on the film Delhi-6. “I was playing Jalebi, a foul mouthed woman and I just couldn’t speak the dialogues because there were all these seniors in front of me. Waheeda ji, Rishi ji, Om Puri sahab and I was very hesitant in speaking like that in front of them. So after several retakes, Rakeysh finally came to me and told me, ‘Set Divya aside. She is too sweet. Think of the person Jalebi is and let her character take over.’ That advice has stayed with me.”
— Inputs by Ankita Bharti