Jonita Gandhi: The hook step of ‘Arabic Kuthu’ with Thalapathy Vijay and Pooja Hegde is infectious

Roopa Radhakrishnan (BOMBAY TIMES; October 15, 2024)

Jonita Gandhi is thrilled to be opening for Dua Lipa’s upcoming concert in Mumbai. In a chat with us, she reflects on her journey so far, as she touches upon everything — from fashion to difference between performing in an A R Rahman’s and Anirudh Ravichander’s concert.

ON BEING THE OPENING ACT FOR DUA LIPA’S UPCOMING CONCERT...
I’m excited, nervous... I don’t know how to feel. I have been following Dua Lipa’s music for years; she’s an artiste I look up to. Her growth has been inspiring to watch. Her voice is powerful, and her music is infectious; it brings people together. I know the audience will be coming there for Dua, but I hope to leave a lasting impact with my performance so that the audience ends up seeing me as well.

On the difference between performing with ARR & Anirudh...
I am grateful to perform at the concerts of these two incredible artistes. Rahman sir’s and Anirudh’s music and audience demographics are very different, and as a performer, I get to experiment differently in both their concerts. I take both opportunities seriously, and I adapt and mould my performance style accordingly. But it’s more about the repertoire I’m singing than the artiste I’m accompanying. For instance, if it’s a semi-classical or soft song, I may choose to dress and perform it with more grace.

‘I FELT THAT VIDA KARO WAS SPECIAL WHEN I SANG IT, BUT I HAD NO IDEA HOW MUCH AUDIENCES WOULD LOVE IT’
I feel blessed to have sung Vida Karo. The song is extremely unique; it was appreciated for being a breath of fresh air at a time when no other music like that was releasing. I felt that the song was special when I sang it, but I had no idea how much audiences would love it. I was pleasantly surprised to see the song do so well. Celebrating the success of the Chamkila soundtrack, we had a gathering of singers, and a video of us singing the song went viral. It was a beautiful experience to have such incredible musicians singing along with me.

‘I’VE BEEN ABLE TO USE FASHION TO EXPRESS MYSELF MORE IN THE RECENT YEARS’
I think I do this every day. But an example of how I used styling choices to express themes and culture is in my music video for Love Like That. We intentionally incorporated a mix of Indian and western elements in the styling to reflect the meeting of both worlds in the song. Fashion and style are a big part of everything I do as an artiste. I’ve been able to use it to express myself more in the recent years. There is so much storytelling and depth that we can achieve when we express ourselves through fashion.

ON THE SONG FROM HER DISCOGRAPHY THAT WAS THE HARDEST TO SING...
I think Saajan Aayo Re from OK Jaanu. It is a beautiful and intricate piece with Hindustani classical influences. It was one of my most difficult songs to sing in the studio.