Neha Maheshwri (BOMBAY TIMES; September 4, 2024)

After a five-year hiatus, Nikitin Dheer returned to television to take on the iconic role of Ravan in Srimad Ramayan. The character has had such a lasting impact on him that he recently got his third tattoo as a tribute to the experience.

He shares, “Playing Ravan was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. It’s been an enriching journey.”
While his TV appearances have been sporadic, he maintains he doesn’t favour one medium over another.

He says, “I have always believed that no actor is greater than the medium. I don’t dismiss any platform or believe one medium is superior to another. I returned to television because of my desire to play Ravan, and I am grateful the audience accepted my portrayal. I plan to explore OTT and films again, and if a compelling role comes up on television, I will certainly consider it.”

In films, he is best known as the villainous Tangaballi in Chennai Express. Admitting that he has been typecast, the actor, who has been part of films like Shershaah and Sooryavanshi, says, “I began with a negative role and followed it with similar roles. Once you are on a certain path, it’s rare for producers to think outside the box. Few people dare to break the mould and see you in a different light.”

Nikitin also points out that today’s villainous characters lack the depth and menace they once had. “It’s not just me; an entire generation of actors, particularly those playing villains, have seen their roles diminish. Since the era of Amrish Puri ji and the 90s, the presence of strong villains has declined. Nobody writes for villains anymore; all the focus is on heroes. A strong villain enhances the hero, but it’s now rare to see a well-crafted villain with depth,” says the actor, who is set to begin shooting for a web series and a film.