Kashmera Shah kisses Krushna Abhishek as he tries to pull her away from paparazzi at Bigg Boss party

Tanvi Trivedi (BOMBAY TIMES; September 4, 2024)

It’s been 18 years of togetherness for the actor-couple Kashmera Shah and Krushna Abhishek. Their journey together has had its share of ups and downs, but they believe that it’s their friendship that has helped them sail through it all. Currently, the two are seen cooking and cracking jokes on the TV show Laughter Chefs. In an exclusive interview with us, the happily married couple talks about why people believed their relationship wouldn’t last this long and how they balance each other out. Excerpts:

Kashmera, some time ago you shared an appreciation post on completing 18 years with Krushna, where you also said that people never believed that the two of you would work it out as a couple. Why do you think people felt that?
Krushna and I started seeing each other when he was 22, and I was 32. I was not looking for a man who was younger. We were attracted to each other and connected as friends. At that time, Krushna was new to showbiz, and I was already a celebrity, so many thought I would leave Krushna for a rich man. People were convinced that the age gap would become a reason for the split sooner or later. I was always an independent woman and did not need anyone to pay my bills. Secondly, I was never looked at as the girl next door, I was perceived as hot and sexy, and society often considers women like me as someone you can date, but not marry. People assumed we were just having fun together and it would not last long. Even his father never approved of us, so obviously, we crossed many hurdles to make this marriage work.

Krushna, did you believe Kashmera was the right woman for you when you started dating her?
Kash was a hot, sexy and popular actress working with Shah Rukh Khan and Jackie Shroff. I was a newcomer then. The age difference was not important. I connected with her and enjoyed flaunting her as my girlfriend, saying, ‘Dekho main Kashmera Shah ko date kar raha hoon’. I first met her on a film set in Jaipur, where we were casually introduced and eventually became friends. One day, she called me to her room for dinner, and that’s how our relationship started…with a one-night stand (laughs). Funnily, the joke we share is how, after that one dinner, I just stayed back with her! Initially, we were not serious about each other, we travelled and had a good time for many years. When we started dating, we were not thinking of marriage and felt it would end in a few months. But I was always happy around Kashmera. We are each other’s best friends. People often joke about how Krushna likes two things: Kash and cash!

Were you affected when your family did not approve of the relationship?
Krushna: We were in a live-in relationship 18 years ago and it was a big deal in those days. My father did not approve, and people thought Kash was trapping me. But after being with each other for six years, I decided that I had to live my life for myself and my family and not think log kya kahenge. We secretly got married in Las Vegas in 2012, and we kept it a secret for a year or so as we wanted to get pregnant and then announce it to the world. But that didn’t happen; our twins (Krishaang and Rayaan) were born in 2017. Now, we have two beautiful kids, but my father is not around to see them.

What is your recipe for a good marriage?
Krushna: Kashmera has been a great support in my career. Even after being known as Govinda ka bhanja, nobody knew me at Page 3 parties. Govinda ji has helped my family a lot financially, but when it came to my career, I made it because of my talent and Kashmera’s guidance. We are like chalk and cheese, but our differences don’t come in our way. Half of my property is in my kids’ and wife’s name, so if they leave me, I’ll have nothing left (laughs). The secret to happiness is our solid friendship and the way Kashmera has pushed me to achieve my dreams.
Kashmera: We never go to bed angry after a fight, we resolve our issues. Also, I would be lying if I said there are no temptations outside, as we both understand that any woman or man likes attention. But we have immense trust and respect for each other. Krushna is a great father to our kids. He makes people laugh on TV and films, but at home, I make him laugh with my one-liners.