Onkar Kulkarni (BOMBAY TIMES; September 28, 2024)

Fatima Sana Shaikh, an avid traveller, loves going on backpacking adventures. Be it desi locales or foreign destinations, the actress has a penchant for exploring new places and the local culture and cuisine. Fatima, who was struck by wanderlust much later in her life, says, “As a kid, I would only go to Jammu and Kashmir, during my summer vacations, and I would enjoy those times. It was only later in life that I started travelling more. I truly believe that you don’t have to be rich to travel.”

‘I want to explore the North-East and places in South India’
Fatima loves travelling abroad, but she also enjoys exploring our country. “I love travelling in India because the demographic of the country is so varied. There’s everything from mountains and beaches to winter destinations and deserts, and the cultural experience is extremely diverse across the country. While I have seen many parts of India, I want to explore the North-East and places in South India,” she says.

‘I travel to find peace’
The actress, who was last seen in Sam Bahadur, shares that every time she feels low, she picks up her bags and takes off to some destination, which helps her find peace. She says, “Dharamshala and other places in Himachal are the go-to places for me. The moment I feel I need to get out of the city, I go to the mountains. Sometimes, I take Bijlee (her pet dog) along, or I go solo. When you are in the mountains, you are at peace. It’s the most beautiful sight to see the sun rising and setting there. It’s almost like watching a live painting when you see the sky changing colours.”

‘I splurge only on flight tickets and take non-stop flights’
Over the years, Fatima has figured out travel hacks that suit her. She shares, “I splurge only on flight tickets and take non-stop flights. Usually, when I travel, I prefer staying at rental places or my friend’s homes. I also walk a lot. You just need to be a smart traveller and plan well.”

While Fatima enjoys travelling solo, she says she has also been lucky to have friends who proved to be great travel buddies. She says, “I have been fortunate enough to have friends who would go out, and I would tag along for free when I had limited means. My first such trip with them was to Goa. I went on three such trips with my friends, and they stepped in because I had only minimal savings each time. When I started working, I could do the same for them.”

Fatima’s advice for solo travellers
Ask her what are the precautions she takes when traveling solo, and she says, “My advice to solo travellers, and this is something that I always follow, is - keep checking your IDs and wallet and have a backup plan in case you lose your phone. Also, keep the number of the local police station and ambulance handy always, and be informed about the nearest hospital.”

Fatima’s most memorable work trip
Her most memorable work trip was the outdoor shoot of Chachi 420 (1997), in which she featured as a child artiste. She recalls, “I was four years old, and we were shooting in Chennai. We stayed at this beautiful hotel with a swimming pool and a beach near it. I still remember the smell of the area, as there were certain flowers that bloomed combined with the geeli mitti ki khushboo because of the rain.”