Krazzy 4 director Jaideep Sen starts crowdfunding for a heart transplant surgery

Akash Bhatnagar (HINDUSTAN TIMES; July 12, 2024)

Jaideep Sen, who directed Krazzy 4 (2008), is suffering from a heart condition called Hypertrophic Obstructive Cardiomyopathy (HOCM) and needs to undergo a heart transplant. Since he’s unable to afford it, he has turned to crowdfunding. “This year, I have been hospitalized twice — in February and May. I missed death narrowly the second time and was on ventilator support for three days. My cardiologist has told me that I need a heart transplant as there’s no other way out,” he shares.

He adds, “Currently, I am number one on the heart recipient list in Mumbai. But the cost of the surgery is Rs. 35 lakh and I have been asked to keep a contingency of Rs. 15 lakh more. As per hospital policy, they can confirm the surgery only after the entire Rs. 35 lakh is deposited. My savings are miniscule compared to the amount I need. Unfortunately, in our industry, unless you become a successful brand, you are always underpaid.”

Sen adds that the industry has stepped up to help him. “Some of them have contributed in whatever capacity they could. Whatever comes from their heart, I accept that,” says Sen, adding that since Krazzy 4, he hasn’t been offered much work in Bollywood.

“In the last 13 years, there have been so many phases where I had no work. The reality of the film industry is such that often genius bhookhe reh jaate hain, aur gadhe gulab jamun khaate hain. I am a living example of that. So many directors have made failed films, yet they got so much work. But for some strange reason, I didn’t get work,” he ends.