Sundas Jawed (BOMBAY TIMES; July 28, 2024)

Ghanshyam from Hera Pheri, or Dev Chopra from Dhadkan, Suniel Shetty has a special place in the hearts of every ’90s kid, because of his iconic roles. Set to turn 63 in a month, the actor and fitness enthusiast, who exudes age-defying energy and positivity, was in Kolkata to attend the seventh edition of Times Business Awards 2024. In an exclusive chat with us, the actor spoke about his fitness regimen, the importance of family and his love for mustard fish and nolen gur ice cream.

Family is everything
Speaking about how his family has helped him evolve as an individual, Suniel says, “It is only when someone goes through a rough patch, they know what their constants are. I truly believe my family has played an important role in turning me into a new person. Today, I can say no to whatever I don’t want and yes to whatever I want to do,” while pointing out how, in the long run of success, many tend to forget about their families.

Kolkata must-haves
Suniel loves Kolkata sweets. “The desserts here are heavenly. I had nolen gur ice cream for the first time here and have fallen in love with it. Mustard fish is also a must-have for me whenever I am in Kolkata.”

‘The Olympics shouldn’t just be about medals, but the journey too’
With the Olympics having started yesterday, Suniel highlights how one should celebrate the journey of a sportsperson. “We must acknowledge the players who make a conscious decision to play for the country, give up their youth.’

‘Hera Pheri proves good comedy is situational’
Suniel Shetty’s films with Akshay Kumar are helmed as some of the most iconic comedy films till date, be it Hera Pheri (2000) or Awara Paagal Deewana (2002). But the current state of comedy is not really impressive, he says, “People now believe being loud and vulgar is comic. Somewhere we have forgotten what the kind of food we need to serve when it comes to content.”

Talking about what made Hera Pheri one of the classics, he says, “Hera Pheri remains an endless source of memes. It proves that good comedy is situational.” Talking about the possibility of a sequel, he expresses, “I am waiting for Hera Pheri 3. All of us have aged and there are chances of different problems popping up.”

‘Fitness helped me evolve as an individual’
Speaking about his fitness regimen, Suniel said that right food comprises 80% of his routine, while exercise is just 20%. He adds, “Kids of today need to realise the importance of consistency. One has to manifest things for them to happen. I have seen that happen to myself.”

‘To me, social media is a platform to exchange learnings and experiences’
From being someone who was never into social media, to turning into someone who looks at it as a platform of exchange, Suniel Shetty believes in having no filters. “I put out whatever I feel like even if it is out of focus. I have started blogging to put my thoughts out there. For most people, social media is a business platform, but I look at it as a platform that helps me share my failures and experiences. When I joined social media, I came into a world that was alien to me and put out content that is alien to the world,” he says.

Adding about his no filter policy, the actor says, “Filters in life don’t work for me. At this age, I don’t want to compete. So, I dress the way I want to, I repeat my clothes as many times as I want, as I have always done. It is a conscious effort from my end to not follow rules and be happy in my space.”

However, he points out that he doesn’t live in the virtual world. “I live in the real world. I am still the Suniel Shetty of the 90s, enjoying every little thing that gives me satisfaction. For me my biggest joy is not what I am achieving through cinema but the success I have achieved with my own near and dear ones, my family, the love they have for me, and I have for them.”

On trolls and the bad Fridays
Speaking about trolls and celeb kids being in the spotlight, Shetty shared the concerns he has always had as a father. “As a father, the trolls do bother me but as a fellow actor I make sure my kids take it as a part of life. The only reason I told my children not to be a part of the film industry is the bad Fridays and the trolling that comes with it,” he says.
----------------------------------------------------------
'I have made wrong choices in films where I failed and then I took a step back and tried to figure out the disconnect. I stepped back, took a break, and spent time with my ailing father. I think God has his own plans. He gets you into trouble to get you into something more beautiful. Those four years with my father were probably the most beautiful years of my life'
----------------------------------------------------------
Filters in life do not work for Suniel. He says, “I have passed the age of competing. Now, the conscious effort is to be happy in my space'
----------------------------------------------------------
'I see Athiya as a responsible woman now, taking care of her home brilliantly. I keep telling her how lucky we are to have Rahul. He conducts himself so well both on the field and at home. I have a lot to learn from him'