DETERMINED
TO DO AT
LEAST ONE
PUNJABI
FILM AND
ALBUM
EVERY
YEAR

Actor-singer Diljit Dosanjh talks about getting international recognition as a Punjabi artiste and his plans for the future
Akshi Sharma (HINDUSTAN TIMES; June 29, 2024)

Although he has often admitted that he doesn’t like talking too much while promoting his projects, actor-singer Diljit Dosanjh couldn’t contain his excitement while promoting his recently-released film, Jatt & Juliet 3 in Punjab.

“Punjab is my home and I source my energy from its soil. No matter where I am in the world, Punjab is with me, in my blood,” said Dosanjh, who is back in India after making his first ever appearance on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon last week.

The 40-year-old also assured fans that they will soon get to see more of him: “I am determined to do one Punjabi film and an album every year. I will continue to do everything else, but I will never be disconnected from Punjab.”

In the past few years, Dosanjh has made huge strides on the international stage. In addition to becoming the first Punjabi artiste to perform at the Tonight Show, he also became the first Punjabi artiste to be featured at the Times Square in New York (US) in 2020. And last year, Dosanjh became the first Indian to perform at the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival in California. Talking about this journey, the actor-singer shared, “It comes with time. People say I have become a phenomenon suddenly, but miss the fact that I have been working for it for the past 22 years.”

Dosanjh added that he feels a sense of pride to see Punjabis stepping into the spotlight and finally getting recognized on international platforms. “It was long overdue. But now, when kids see this happening, they know that they can also do it. And in fact, go way above and beyond this. That’s something that should drive everyone to dream and aspire for big things,” he concluded.