I hope Mumbai becomes  more cyclist-friendly,  says Rakul Preet Singh

Onkar Kulkarni (BOMBAY TIMES; June 3, 2024)

For Rakul Preet Singh, cycling has always been a way of life while growing up in different army cantonments where her father had been posted. In a chat with us, the actress shares her fondest memories of riding the two-wheeler, and how she hops on to a cycle whenever and wherever she gets a chance.

‘I refused to take off the side wheels of my cycle because I was afraid I would fall’
Rakul’s father gifted her a bicycle when she was in the 5th grade and taught her to ride it. She shares, “I used to ride my cycle with the supporting side wheels, which I refused to take off because I was afraid of losing my balance. Then one day, dad made them so loose that they came off while I was riding the cycle and he yelled, ‘Look you are cycling without the side supporters.’ While I was riding fine until then, the minute my dad pointed that out, I lost my balance and fell. I still have the bruise on my leg from the fall that day.”

‘My parents ensured that my brother and I used cycles to move around’
Sharing an anecdote from her growing up years at various cantonments, Rakul says, “I stayed in Deolali, Jalandhar and Firozpur army cantonments. My parents made sure that my brother and I would move around on cycles, rather than take car rides. So, from going to school to going for our swimming sessions, we would use cycles. Riding a cycle has been an integral part of my growing up years,” shares the actress.

Rakul also prefers cycling to work, especially when she’s shooting at Ramoji Film City in Hyderabad. “The outer ring road in Hyderabad has a dedicated cycling track. Once I reach the ring road, I get the cycle out of my car and ride it for an hour till I reach Film City, while my car continues to follow me. Then I put the cycle back in my car, have a shower in my vanity van and get ready for the shoot,” she says.

‘IF WE ARE A LITTLE MORE CONSCIOUS ABOUT OUR TRAFFIC RULES, WE WILL BE ABLE TO CYCLE FREELY’
Like in Hyderabad, Rakul feels that Mumbai should also have the infrastructure for cyclists to commute. “Having a cycling track is sustainable and environment friendly. In many other countries, pedestrians and cyclists have the first right of the way. I feel if we are a little more conscious about our traffic rules, we will be able to cycle freely,” says Rakul who loves to cycle around in Europe.

‘Jackky and I love to cycle around London, especially at Hyde Park’
The actress often rides bicycles with her husband Jackky Bhagnani when they are on foreign vacays. She tells us, “Jackky and I love to cycle around London, especially at Hyde Park. I never ride pillion! Do I look like someone who would ride a pillion? Phir woh cycle ho, bike ho ya car… bas mujhe hi chalani hai (laughs). It’s so much fun to cycle around in Amsterdam and London. They have cycle stations where you can pick up cycles from anywhere and drop them anywhere. It’s so convenient. And the weather there permits you to ride too.”

‘Everyone should try and make a conscious effort to cycle’
On this day dedicated to bicycles, Rakul urges people to take to this healthy way of life, saying, “Everyone should try and make a conscious effort to cycle around for short distances. We all need to make a collective effort towards a better future otherwise we are just consuming everything the planet has to offer and not giving back anything in return. So, wherever we can, we need to take these small steps.”