Daler Mehndi says he rejected a role in the Kajol-starrer Kuch Khatti Kuch Meethi

Navya Kharbanda (HINDUSTAN TIMES; June 30, 2024)

While singer Daler Mehndi gears up to make his acting debut in the Akshay Kumar-starrer Welcome to the Jungle, he reveals that this is not the first time he has been offered an acting role.

“I was offered a role back in 1998 in the Kajol-starrer Kuch Khatti Kuch Meethi (2001),” says the singer, adding, “I remember meri baat hui thi [with the producers] and I asked them for more money than the hero of the film. After a meeting for about 15-20 minutes, I finally decided that I didn’t want to do the movie. All my friends said it’s a huge production and a great movie, but I responded, ‘Mera abhi singing ka kaam hai, main ussi par focus kar leta hoon; Abhi itna time pada hai, filmein toh hoti rahengi’.”

It has been over two decades since Mehndi has been writing and singing songs, and he admits that he “never felt the need” to transition into acting.

“I didn’t want to spend my own money to make a movie. But I always thought if any producer or director felt I’m needed or had the talent to play a particular character, they would call me. Now I feel ki ab time hai, gaane main jhande gaaad diye, ab acting mai gaaadne hain. If god wants, I’ll excel in acting as well,” shares the 56-year-old singer.

Mehndi, who has already shot some of his parts for Welcome To The Jungle, feels grateful to filmmaker Ahmed Khan for considering him for a role in the film. He shares how he is looking forward to being a part of an ensemble cast that includes actors Arshad Warsi, Raveena Tandon, Disha Patani, Jacqueliene Fernandez, Suniel Shetty among others.

Talking about how the role came about, he says, “He called me and said, ‘Paaji, maine ek jagah aapki haan kardi hai, na mat kijiyega’. He is my brother and an amazing human being, [so] I just couldn’t say no. I’m glad that he thought I could do a role in his film.”

He continues, “Everyone has been treating me with such love and respect. While filming, we keep laughing all the time on set, and I can’t imagine how much the audience will enjoy it. Akshay [Kumar] paaji itna hasaate hain, bahut maza aa raha hai.”

For most, balancing his acting career with music might seem like a challenging task, but Mehndi isn’t perturbed. “Technically, I started acting in my song Na Na Na Re (1997), so I don’t think it’s that difficult for me or I’ll have to work hard on it separately. I feel I have it in me,” he shares and adds, “Baaki bhagwaan ne chaaha toh aur acting projects bhi aayenge, I am willing to grow more in this arena. I am also hoping to balance both acting and music in the future.”