Acting is not a 9 to 5 job, says Dibyendu Bhattacharya

S Farah Rizvi (HINDUSTAN TIMES; June 30, 2024)

Actor Dibyendu Bhattacharya says, after years in the film industry, he has finally learnt to balance work and life.

The actor, who is known for his web shows such as Poacher and Undekhi, shares, “After being in this profession for 24 years, I can say that I learned and unlearned a lot about life. It’s not easy to go with the flow as acting is not a 9-5 job. In all these years, my only point was ke khali nai baithna hai. The only thing I do at my end is not to repeat myself as an actor, ek hi jaisa dikhna is an actor’s death.”

Bhattacharya adds that there is “no such thing” as a bankable actor.

He explains, “Acting is a slippery field, and you never know what will work and what will not. Kucch bhi bankable nahin ho sakta is industry mein. Yes, your directors can trust you to play a certain role to the best of your ability and that’s it. But the twist is that as actors, some of our projects don’t get to see the light of the day. A few of my films, including Chakda Xpress, that is very close to my heart still await release.”

The actor, who began with directing plays, says that he’s still close to theatre: “Theatre se alag ho nai sakte. I have a few things on my bucket list that I will direct once again, as I used to in my theatre days in the late 1980s.”

Ask about the projects he has lined up next, and Bhattacharya, who has enough on his plate, replies, “For now, I am constantly on something or the other. I am wrapping a series with director Sriram Raghavan and my film Ek Ruka Hua Faisla is in post-production.”