Irrfan sir was a phenomenon: Radhikka on  her Angrezi Medium  co-star

Navya Kharbanda (HINDUSTAN TIMES; April 29, 2024)

He was a legend. Every artiste can say that Irrfan sir was a phenomenon. He gave us so many good films and memories. In fact, two days ago, I was missing him so much that I watched our film,” says Radhikka Madan, as she talks about her Angrezi Medium (2020) co-star, Irrfan, on his fourth death anniversary today.

Irrfan, who suffered from a rare neuroendocrine cancer, was not keeping well towards the last leg of the film’s shooting schedule in October 2019. Hence, Madan couldn’t spend a lot of time with him off the set. “I was already informed that he would be low on energy. We finished shooting in October 2019 and in April 2020, he passed away. He shot the last scene with me,” says the 28-year-old, who played his daughter in the film. She adds, “I only saw him as my father. I couldn’t get the opportunity of fangirling around him.”

Reminiscing the days spent with the late actor, who died at the age of 53, Madan remembers him as someone very “respectful and passionate”. The 28-year-old says, “Full credit to Irrfan sir for treating me like an equal and not a newcomer, and giving me that respect as a co-star. That was the biggest motivation and it gave me the confidence to believe in my gut and craft. He really inspired and encouraged me as a professional. I was always his student.”

Madan also feels that the late actor’s honesty and dedication reflected in his craft. “He couldn’t lie in a scene. That’s the biggest lesson I learnt from him as an actor that if you are not feeling the truth, you cannot just deliver the lines. You need to find the truth in every word,” she ends.