SHILPA: I AM
PARTICULAR EVEN
ABOUT KISSING
ON SCREEN
All for experimenting and risk-taking on OTT, Shilpa Shetty Kundra draws the line at onscreen intimacy
Navya Kharbanda (HINDUSTAN TIMES; February 21, 2024)

Having ventured into the OTT space with Rohit Shetty’s Indian Police Force recently, actor Shilpa Shetty Kundra is all praise for the medium. She says, “When you are going theatrical, there’s a lot of pressure on whether the role or that kind of content will be accepted. OTT, on the other hand, allows artistes and filmmakers to take risks.”

While the web space brings with it more scope and liberty to experiment, the 48-year-old still has her reservations while picking scripts. “I want my kids to be able to watch my content. So, I always do family-oriented stuff. I am one of the few artistes who are very particular even about kissing on screen. I have never done it. I am clear about what I can and can’t do.”

A significant advantage of working in web projects is that one gets to operate without the pressure of the box-office. And Kundra experienced that firsthand when her last big-screen outing, Sukhee, found its audience on OTT after a dismal box-office run.

“[While doing web shows,] I feel like I can throw caution to the wind and do interesting stuff without being judged by the box-office collections,” says the actor, who feels one’s personal growth reflects in their professional graph too — which is what is happening with her right now.

“There was a time when I did glamorous films, and then I did serious cinema with Dhadkan (2000), Dus (2005), Life In A... Metro (2007),etc. Just when I was starting to understand the craft, I got married and took a sabbatical. Now, I feel like I am rediscovering myself. That’s why, people saw a new Shilpa in Sukhee,” she ends.