‘I’m no more tagged as an OTT actor’
Navya Kharbanda (HINDUSTAN TIMES; February 19, 2024)

Actor Pankaj Tripathi, popular for playing crime lord Kaleen Bhaiya in the web series Mirzapur, is happy about breaking free from the OTT-actor stereotype after the pandemic.

“When cinemas were shut during the pandemic, Mirzapur rose in popularity. In fact, many of my films, such as Gunjan Saxena: The Kargil Girl, Ludo (2020), Mimi and Kaagaz (2021), were super successful on OTT. Though they were made for theatres, we had no other option but to release them on streaming platforms because of the lockdown,” says Tripathi, illustrating that this led to him getting labelled as an ‘OTT actor’.

“They would have worked well had they been released in theatres, too. However, I agree that I do have a lot of presence across streaming platforms. I often find myself in the most-watched category,” the 46-year-old admits.

Having said that, the actor’s assertion that he’s not just an OTT actor, is backed by his upcoming projects, which transcend the digital medium. “I was a part of OMG 2 and Fukrey 3 in 2023, and will be seen in Metro...In Dino. So, ab normal ho gaya hai. I am not tagged just as an OTT actor now,” he declares.

Tripathi, who recently headlined the streaming movie Kadak Singh, says his approach to picking projects isn’t really about the medium. “Main soch kar balance nahin karta har platform ke projects. I have so many franchises continuing, so I am just working on them. I go with the flow while choosing projects,” says the actor, who is gearing up for Stree 2.

Moreover, with the gradual return of normalcy and theatres seeing crowds returning, Tripathi stays optimistic about big screen projects. “The films that are releasing now have the ability to attract audiences to the theatres,” he wraps up.