‘GRATEFUL
TO BE INDIAN’

On Republic Day today, actor Tiger Shroff joins us for an exclusive shoot and chat about what patriotism means to him
Rishabh Suri (HINDUSTAN TIMES; January 26, 2024)

In his decade-long career, Tiger Shroff has been associated with multiple films that have patriotism at their core — from Baaghi 2 (2018) and War (2019) to the upcoming Singham Again and Bade Miyan Chote Miyan (BMCM). On India’s 75th Republic Day today, it’s only fitting that we catch up with the actor for an exclusive shoot. The 33-year-old says, “The 75th Republic Day should be about remembering our country’s journey towards reaching this milestone”. Excerpts:

What does patriotism mean to you?
It’s about representing my country, being righteous and always feeling a sense of pride. I am grateful to be Indian.

Growing up, how would you celebrate Republic Day? Tell us about your fondest memory.
On every R-Day, my father (actor Jackie Shroff) would be invited to some event or cultural programme for flag hoisting. I would always accompany him and watch him hoist the flag. That’s my earliest and fondest memory.

Most of your films, including BMCM, have a patriotic flavour. Is that deliberate?
That’s definitely one of the major themes, but it has been fully organic in my career. The scripts I have chosen show me playing an Army officer or a heroic character who is righteous and stands up for the right causes, whether it’s for the country or for the weak or oppressed. For that, I would give full credit to the makers. It is an absolute honour and privilege to represent the real heroes of our country on celluloid whenever I get the chance.

Over the years, our country has made strides in various sectors. What are your thoughts on how India is shaping up today?
Right now, we are in a golden phase. With the leadership of Prime Minister Narendra Modi ji, the country is growing fast in so many ways. India is one of the superpowers of the world today. And I get to represent it when I am a part of such moments on celluloid. It’s fair to say we all are very proud of our country.