I hope to sing for Shri Ram in Ayodhya today: Shankar
Ayodhya-bound Shankar Mahadevan, who recently released a spiritual song ahead of the Ram Mandir inauguration, on the occasion’s significance for him
Sonia Lulla (MID-DAY; January 22, 2024)

When we connect with Shankar Mahadevan to discuss his latest release, Ram anthem, he is enroute to Ayodhya for today’s inauguration. “This is what India is all about. We’ve been striving for this for over 500 years. I began my career by playing the veena for a Ram bhajan, so this is significant to me,” says Mahadevan, who, along with Kailash Kher, Akriti Kakkar and Shaan, released the number that earned praise from Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

“My friend Sameer ji [Anjaan] said we should work on this song. This is one of the biggest events in Indian history. It’s a high-energy number that you can dance to, but, it also has an emotional quotient. It is very rhythmic.” Mahadevan, who also collaborated with 250 artistes to create a carnatic track for the occasion, says the numbers reflect the varied emotions that are being felt by Indians.

“The pulse of Ayodhya has been appropriately captured in this number,” says the musician, who hopes to perform at the event.

“If I get to sing four lines closer to the Pran Pratishtha, I’ll be very happy.”
--------------------------------------
Soumya Vajpayee (HINDUSTAN TIMES; January 22, 2024)

Composer-singer Shankar Mahadevan reached Ayodhya yesterday with his wife, Sangeeta Mahadevan. “I attended the dinner hosted by the royal family of Ayodhya,” says the Padma Shri recipient, who is excited about the Ram Mandir consecration ceremony today. “I will be attending the ceremony with my wife and I hope to sing a couple of lines for Shri Ram in Ayodhya today,” the 56-year-old says.

Ask if he’s done any prep for the ceremony, and Shankar says, “I will wear a traditional kurta, a silk veshti and a silk angavastram. My wife will be wearing a traditional saree.”

The musician’s song bhajan, Ram Anthem, which has been sung by him and singers Shaan, Kailash Kher and Akriti Kakar, was shared by PM Narendra Modi on X yesterday. “I was thrilled when PM Modi shared my song on social media. It’s such an encouragement for artistes like us,” says Shankar, who started his career with a Ram bhajan.

“My journey as a musician started with a devotional song, Ram Bhajan Kar Man, where I played the veena and it was sung by (late legend) Lata Mangeshkar ji. I was 11 back then,” he ends.