Women-oriented films will be back from OTT to the big screen: Sonakshi

Chandrima Pal (BOMBAY TIMES; December 8, 2023)

Minutes after charming the crowd at Netaji Indoor Stadium, Sonakshi Sinha spoke to CT about that precious feeling of being financially independent, the love she received for Dahaad and more. Excerpts.

"I share a special connection with Kolkata. I was born when my father (Shatrughan Sinha) was shooting for Goutam Ghose’s Antarjali Jatra here. I’d also received the maximum amount of love for Lootera, where I played the role of a Bengali girl"

You celebrated your first Dhanteras in your new home this year. How does it feel to be a homeowner?
Well I haven’t moved out completely, I still live with my parents. As they say, there is no place like home, and Ramayan, where I’ve lived with my parents all my life, will always be my home. But the new house is where I have my meetings, do some of my shoots and chill. So it is more of an office space kind of a situation right now. But yes, it brings with it a certain sense of achievement because I have always dreamt of having my own house.

How important is it for young women to work towards a financial goal?
I think it’s extremely important. Financial independence means you are totally and completely in charge of your life, especially if you are a woman. Earlier things were different, as women were more dependent on the male counterparts in their family. But today, women are achieving that financial freedom, their independent goals. I always say that you’ve to make yourself so strong that you don’t have to depend on anyone for anything.

But we don’t get to see such strong women on the big screen anymore. They seem to have all moved to the OTT. Does this reflects a shift in viewership?
I think this whole change in the kind of content is due to the change in audiences in general post pandemic. You can’t blame anything else. People will still go to theatres if the content is good. Yes, a lot of the women-driven stories have shifted to OTT, but who’s to say it can’t shift back?

You’ve done quite a few of the solo lead, or women-oriented films – perhaps taken a few risks too with films such as or Double XL or Khandani Shafakhana. Do you regret those choices or do you stand by them?
I believe I’ve always done the right thing. With Akira I tasted blood! Having the complete responsibility of a film on your shoulder makes you feel like a hero. How can I go back? How can I do a film where I am just a part of the story? I want the story to revolve around me! I’m happy with the way things have gone for me. There has to be a really strong pull factor (to draw audiences to theatres). A good story and great performances can still hold their own if the word-of-mouth is good
-----------------------------------------------------------
It’s unbelievable, but I still get complimented for my work in Dahaad. It was a once-in-lifetime kind of challenge for me to play this bike-riding tough cop SI Anjali Bhaati. And to get appreciated for that character is like the icing on the cake. I’ve not seen this kind of a response to my work in years. I’ve had people whom I haven’t met in years, call me up to tell me that they loved my performance."

– On the response she got for Dahaad