Rasika Dugal: Sometimes you only need yourself to be amused

Tanvi Trivedi (BOMBAY TIMES; December 1, 2023)

Rasika Duggal, in an exclusive chat with BT, talks about her early days in Mumbai as a young actor and how happy she is about the way the entire ecosystem for actors has changed in the current scenario.

‘I have turned down some commercial films because the character did not have much to do’
Rasika, who was a special guest at the recently held Prithvi Theatre Festival recently, has won immense appreciation for her performance in Mirzapur and has featured in an interesting mix of projects, says, “I am proud of all the projects. I have done a mix of films and web shows. And if you consider my show Mirzapur, it was mainstream. I have been offered to play bhabhi or sister in commercial films, and I turned them down because the character did not have much to do. At times, it is difficult to say no, but I have been very clear that as a performer, if there is nothing in it for me, I won’t do it. Of course, if there is a central role in a masala film, why not?

‘If it wasn’t for streaming services, I wonder if I would have got such good work?’
The Manto actress gives credit to digital platforms for being able to flourish in this industry as an actress. She explains, “Everyone has their own unique journey. Some have a combination of luck, help from seniors and hard work; others don’t. Having said that, the ecosystem for actors has changed over the years. If it were not for streaming services, sometimes I wonder if I would have got such good work? What would I have done? I feel you need good luck, intent and talent to make brave decisions in this business.”

‘Female actors have been able to tick many boxes in the past few years’
Talking about how female actors are getting well-written characters to portray today, she says, “I feel female actors have been able to tick many boxes in the past few years and there is progressive storytelling, whether it is a film or a web show. The quality of writing has changed dramatically, it has become nuanced, and every character has something to contribute. You no longer find female actors playing cardboard cutout characters. Now you see them playing a variety of roles that are more human and relatable, she is not just heroic or celebrating feminism.”