article-main

Javed Farooqui (THE ECONOMIC TIMES; December 1, 2023)

Bollywood star Abhishek Bachchan, who owns Pro Kabaddi League (PKL) team Jaipur Pink Panthers, said he is not looking to dilute stake in the franchise since it is profitable and there is no strategic reason to get an external investor.

"I would dilute the stake if I feel that I can't fund it any more. This is a very personal enterprise for me. Kabaddi is very close to my heart, and as long as I feel that me and my family office can run it and fund it, I will keep it 100% within my fold," he told ET.

He also said that all PKL teams, including Jaipur Pink Panthers, are worth upwards of Rs 100 crore. He also said that the seed fund that he invested in the team has grown 100X in value.

"From season 2, Jaipur Pink Panthers has been a profitable team and has managed to scrape through and maintain that over the years. Our books are very healthy, and that's something I pay very close attention to," he said.

According to Bachchan, PKL organizers Mashal Sports and media rights owner Star India have played a pivotal role in building PKL into a viable sporting league. Star had paid Rs 900 crore to bag the PKL media rights in 2021.