Fanney Khan Has A Great Cast, Says Producer Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra

Onkar Kulkarni (BOMBAY TIMES; September 9, 2023)

Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra had once said that the first-ever film he wanted to make was Devdas. However, in 2001, he made his directorial debut with Amitabh Bachchan and Raveena Tandon-starrer Aks. Now, many years down the line, Mehra still wishes to make Devdas some day.

He tells us, “It is a great subject. The story has always touched me deeply whenever I have read it. I don’t know whether I want to modernize it or if I want to set it in that period in Bengal. Ek baar woh bulb jalega toh shuru ho jayegi kahani. At this point, I can say that my take on the story is very different.”

Currently, the buzz about Mehra working on Karna is being talked about. As per reports, it is going to be a mythological film based on Karna from the epic saga Mahabharat.

Ask Mehra, how he plans to go about the film given that executing movies in this genre is quite challenging, and he says, “When I work on anything, I just shut myself out from everything around. Otherwise, be it the music, how the scenes are shot or the wardrobe is designed, it can influence you and it creeps into your work. Also, I don’t want it to get into what will work and what won’t. Woh sab smart logon ki baatein hai and I am not that smart. I want to do something that I love, tell a story that I believe in and have great fun doing that. I know it is going to be hard work… creating a universe and all that would be fun.”

While the project keeps him busy, he shares that there are two other scripts that he is simultaneously working on and doesn’t know which film, out of the three, he will go ahead with. He says, “One is a comedy, but has a life lesson. It won’t be an easy film to make because comedy is the hardest genre. It is not a slapstick film. The other is a caper (a subgenre of crime film). I haven’t done a caper yet, and I just love that genre.”