article-main
Natasha Coutinho (BOMBAY TIMES; September 9, 2023)

As Asha Bhosle turned 90 on September 8, veteran actress Helen recalled their journey in the industry. 

"We've shared a warm friendship over the years. She is a precious navaratan of the Hindi film industry. Her contribution and evergreen voice will always be remembered. Asha ji is so versatile that she would modulate her voice for my songs. We have a significant partnership of over 270 songs together. It was a pleasure to perform to each of her renditions and she is a big reason for their success."

She further added, “I can never forget the compliment she gave me saying 'Helen ji if I were a man I would marry you' I remember going to the recording studio and listening to Asha ji recording 'Piya Tu Ab To Aaja' (Caravan) and it sounded so good that I got her the biggest box of chocolates. 'O Haseena Zulfo Wali' (Teesri Manzil) was such foot tapping song that liked it instantly. For 'Yeh Mera Dil' (Don) Ashaji exuded extra oomph in her voice, that made it more enjoyable to perform."

Helen was introduced to Bollywood in 1953 by the famous dancer Cuckoo. She got her break in 1958 when she performed the song 'Mera Naam Chin Chin Choo' in the movie Howrah Bridge.