‘I am craving to do some serious roles’
Deep Saxena (HINDUSTAN TIMES; September 12, 2023)

Comedy star and Punjabi actor Gurpreet Ghuggi asserts that for now he is focusing on performance-oriented roles and be part of meaningful cinema.

The Cuttputlli (2022) actor says, “I started in 1998 with the launch of comedy audio cassettes and then featured in the first The Great Indian Laughter Challenge. It’s due to TV that a larger audience knows me more as a comedian. In Hindi films also, people have seen me in comic roles like in Khiladi 786 (2012), Singh Is Kinng (2008) and Singh Is Bliing (2015) with my friend and superstar Akshay (Kumar). So, masses mein meri image comedian ki ban gai hai... that’s what I have to change.”

The actor says, “Comedy is no longer the focus for me. It surely has given me a lot but for now, I want to explore the serious genre. Since I come from a theatre background, so the actor deep inside me, is craving to do serious roles. I’m no longer solely doing comedy. I have done a cameo in (director) Rajkumar Hirani’s Dunki starring Shah Rukh Khan.”

A big name in Punjabi cinema, he feels his regional industry was not picking subjects that could appeal to the audience pan-India.

“We are stuck with making films in our comfort zone. We need not stick to rom-coms and comedies but pick subjects rooted in our rich culture and history like Southern filmmakers do. We need to make big budget films to showcase our history and make a period drama on a relatable scale,” he ends.