‘I WAS ASKED TO GET A NOSE AND LIP JOB DONE WHEN I STARTED OUT’
Actor Saiyami Kher opens up about being judged for her experience and the industry’s ‘toxic’ beauty standards
Navya Kharbanda (HINDUSTAN TIMES; August 4, 2023)

Actor Saiyami Kher recently took to Instagram to post a video where she spoke about the “toxic beauty standards” that have plagued the entertainment industry for long. Narrating her own experience from when she was just starting out in Bollywood as an 18-year-old, she recalls, “There were a lot of people who said I should get a lip and a nose job done, which is a very wrong advice to give to an 18-year-old. It’s as if the society you are living in is accepting you the way you are, but not the industry. You don’t fit into its [beauty] norms.”

Despite being “judged” for her physical appearance, the actor says she remained undeterred through it all. “These norms didn’t really bother me. But, I hope they completely disappear from our industry. We need to accept diversity in showbiz,” says the 31-year-old.

While it’s natural for anyone in the public eye to be at the receiving end of criticism, the Mirzya (2016), Choked (2020) and Faadu (2022) actor agrees it could get overwhelming. Kher, however, credits her friends and family for helping her navigate through these challenges. “They are the only ones whose opinions really matter. I was very fortunate to have them around me as they embraced and supported me,” she shares.

She does admit that things are certainly getting better as the industry makes gradual efforts towards embracing individuality. “There is more awareness today, which is very necessary in films as it’s a medium that easily influences,” shares Kher, who wishes to connect with a broader audience through her work.

“I have always hoped that my work would reach out to more people. I have always wanted such roles to come my way. Every actor wants their movie to do well, after all,” she wraps up.