Swastika Mukherjee says her tweet on Tagore was not for Anupam Kher
Sneha Biswas (HINDUSTAN TIMES; August 4, 2023)

Swastika Mukherjee has reacted to her recent tweet, which came immediately after actor Anupam Kher’s announcement about portraying late noted writer Rabindranath Tagore in an upcoming film.

Her tweet, “No one should play Robi Thakur. Leave the man alone”, was not taken well by the 68-year-old veteran. Explaining her point, Mukherjee tells us, “What I wanted to say is Rabindranath Tagore should be left out of propaganda whether it’s films, books or seminars. I thought of going back (and clarifying) but I was busy with work. I even thought of writing that I was wrong in writing nobody should play Rabindranath Tagore. What I meant was nobody should include him in propaganda.”

Further clarifying that she was not referring to Kher in particular, Mukherjee continues, “But, it just became like I was talking against Anupam Kher. I really like him as an actor. I followed his work since I started watching films. There are so many favourite films of his that I have watched and I still re-watch them. It’s not about him playing Robi Thakur. As a Bengali, I just don’t want him to be included in another propaganda bu**sh*t, that is what I wanted to say. I personally depend on Tagore for a lot of things; he has shaped my childhood, adulthood and life altogether...”

Kher, in an interview to us, had said recently, “They want to be noticed by their negative views instead of their work. Aap criticism ke liye notice hue toh kya hi notice hue. I also want to ask if that concerned person is Tagore’s spokesperson. Going forward, people will tell us not to make any project on Gandhi ji. I found it to be an absurd point.”