Babil: Mujhe bhar  bhar ke offers nahin aate hain roz
Navya Kharbanda (HINDUSTAN TIMES; August 4, 2023)

Babil is actively seeking to step out of his comfort zone and venture into uncharted territory as an actor. After his debut Qala, (2022) the actor is all set for his second OTT outing, Friday Night Plan. The 25-year-old has no qualms about the medium people see him on.

“I never had the desire ki mujhe big screen par hi aana hai. I just wanted to work as an actor. I want to reach the audiences and their hearts. Now, whether it’s through OTT, computers, phone or theatre, I don’t care,” shares Babil.

The actor, son of the late actor and world cinema icon Irrfan, adds that he doesn’t have too many choices at present. “Mujhe jo mila, maine kar diya. I don’t get scripts every day. Mujhe bhar bhar ke offers nahin aate hain that I can choose and decide which medium I want to work in,” he says, adding, “I give a lot of auditions and whenever I get selected, I just read the script, and if I like it, I do it irrespective of where it will release.”

The one thing he is particular about is to constantly embrace changes, as that’s integral to his craft. “I love to transition, I love to change. I will never be able to do just one thing again and again. Intense [characters] pakdo and woh hi karte raho kyunki aapko wohi aata hai — that’s not me. I hate that. I want to get uncomfortable,” says the actor.

Naturally, his next is a much “lighter and fun” project. “I wanted to bring back the joy of performing. And I found Friday Night Plan a very relatable and feel-good film. With all the mental health issues, anxiety and strange times that we are going through, this is something that you can breeze through and feel good about,” he shares.

In the film, Babil plays an 18-year-old and faced his share of challenges while getting the emotions right. “My character is scared of failure and that’s why he’s always protecting himself and planning life too much. He lost his father, and that’s the only thing I could relate to,” he divulges, calling himself totally opposite of his on-screen portrayal. “I allow life to guide me. I don’t make plans or strategise or over-analyse. I am a go-with-the-flow person,” he wraps up.

On his fashion choices
I am being lauded for them, no doubt. But I am being trolled a lot too, because I make these risky choices. That’s what fashion is these days. And not just fashion, with everything. Don’t be scared to put yourself out there. You will get trolled, but if you don’t take yourself too seriously and if you don’t make yourself feel too important from a space of ego, and then you put yourself out there, it is much more productive and you will see that there is more growth in your art because of that.