Singing Jaane Tu Mera Kya Hai  was life-changing for me, says Runaa
Soumya Vajpayee (HINDUSTAN TIMES; July 4, 2023)

Though singer Runaa Rizvii Shivamani made her Bollywood playback debut with Uuf Kya Jaadoo Mohabbat Hai (2004), she considers Jaane Tu... Ya Jaane Na (2008) a “dream come true project”. The voice behind the track Jaane Tu Mera Kya Hai, Shivamani says,

“It was the most memorable and life-changing experience for me. Also, singing for A R Rahman (composer) sir felt divine. I got to learn so much from him.”

Daughter of late ghazal veteran Rajkumar Rizvi, Shivamani goes on to recall an incident from the day of the recording: “While rehearsing at the studio before the final take, I was learning the antra of the song and the pitch was a little high for me. As soon as Rahman sir noticed that I had to strain my voice to reach certain notes, he immediately changed the entire antra to suit my scale. I was inspired to see his sensitivity towards a singer.”

Sharing what she kept in mind while recording the soulful number, Shivamani adds, “My baba (father) was my guru. He always insisted on keeping the sur intact while singing. So, I tried to maintain that besides the emotions and feel of the song. Since the track comes at a point in the film when the heroine realizes her love for the hero, I tried to keep that emotion in mind and gave my best shot.”

Shivamani shares, “I am looking forward to releasing a contemporary cover version of the song this month. I have been working on it for months and I can’t wait to share it with Rahman sir and see how he likes it.”

Singing Jaane Tu Mera Kya Hai  was life-changing for me, says Runaa