I am very unlike Aditi now: Genelia Deshmukh
As the cult film Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Na clocks 15 years, the actor recalls some interesting tidbits
Navya Kharbanda (HINDUSTAN TIMES; July 4, 2023)

In her two-decade-long career, Genelia Deshmukh has done quite a few films, but Jaane Tu... Ya Jaane Na remains among the most special ones for the actor.As the film completes 15 years, Genelia, who played Aditi ‘Meow’ Mahant in the romantic cult classic, says that it was the “casualness, intent of simplicity, emotions and songs that went deep (resonated) with people”.

“Everyone sets out to make a relatable film, but some connections go personal. Jaane Tu.. was a story of a lot of people and youth who’ve lived it or felt it,” shares the 35-year-old.

‘I gave three screen tests before I finally got the role’
While Genelia looked effortless as Aditi, the actor reveals she had to go through multiple auditions and a lot of prep before bagging the role. “When you do a film backed by Aamir Khan (actor-producer), you have to [take] tests to bag it. There were three screen tests I took before finally getting the role. There was a month of reading and hanging out together. All that helped because we (the cast) were friends before we knew it. It was such a natural process,” she shares.

‘Imran was more comfortable with the other girl’
“We were going to shoot the final screen test. I remember Imran (Khan, who played Jai) telling me he was more comfortable with the other shortlisted girl. But when he saw it [his scene with me] on screen, everything changed! It looked like we were the best of pals,” recalls Genelia.

Aditi and Jai... the bond continues
Even though Imran has quit acting, Genelia says they still share a great camaraderie and continue to keep in touch. “Our kids are now in the same school, so we often catch up at the school,” she tells us.

‘80% of the film was shot during night’
For those who’d have noticed, the film was mostly shot in the dark, and Genelia reveals it was director Abbas Tyrewala’s idea. “He used to say, ‘Love happens in the night more than the day’. Everyday, we would pack up at 6 am, chase the night, hoping that the light doesn’t come in. Besides the songs Kabhi Kabhi Aditi and Nazre Milaana, most of the scenes were night sequences,” she recounts.

‘Aditi was close to me back then’
The actor recalls feeling a certain level of relatability between her real life persona and Aditi. But, she doesn’t feel the connect anymore. “She (Aditi) was a firebrand; someone who spoke her mind. I was young and went in with no makeup, all natural. So, it was just me and how I was. But today, I am different because I think before speaking,” says the mother of two, admitting that while now, the film has attained a cult status, back then, “I didn’t even know what was happening”.

I am very unlike Aditi now: Genelia Deshmukh