Debarati S Sen (BOMBAY TIMES; June 21, 2023)

The film-music industry is fiercely competitive. Tell us about your professional relationship that has lasted for decades.
Shaan: There is a lot of mutual admiration and while people might think we are competitors, we aren’t. Sonu is my senior and from a very early stage in my career, he’s been an inspiration. I love his tenacity and how hard he works to achieve perfection in music. I think of him when I want to push myself creatively, otherwise, intrinsically, I am lazy! We’ve seen good times and bad times together.
Sonu: I heard Shaan’s voice before I met him and mujhe itna accha laga tha. I hadn’t really acquired that kind of modernized singing before that. And Shaan was my first inspiration. I learnt that modern style of singing from him.

Sonu, you have been embroiled in several controversies over the years, whereas Shaan, you’ve usually stayed away from them. What do both of you think of each other’s reactions to situations?
Shaan: Sonu has always spoken his mind and sometimes he is impulsive. Certain situations just happen with him, but good thing is that he comes through unscathed and comes back stronger. Sonu knows me; I am probably more impulsive and have more foot-in-the-mouth situations than him. People just don’t perceive me like that, so I have gotten away with it.
Sonu: Arre, Shaan bahut badmash hai, kya kya bol jaata hai logon ko, main toh phir bhi soch leta hoon. But that’s because he is childlike, extremely seedha and very loving. And main controversy mein nahi jaata, main sach bolta hoon. When I am asked something, I speak up. Ya toh pucho hi mat, pange mat lo, because if you ask me about certain things, I will surely tell you the truth, otherwise I don’t speak.

It’s great to see two talented people in same cut-throat industry rooting for each other. Does your connection go deeper than music? How do the both of you connect at a personal level?
Shaan: We have a lot in common and our sense of humour is also similar. We get the same jokes and the same ideas when together at parties. We are proud sons of very talented fathers and that is a big connection.
Sonu: When I first met Shaan, he told me he is Manas Mukherjee’s son. Little did I know then that his father and my parents had a history together. My mother used to sing for his father. So humara rishta humare paida hone ke pehle ka hai. Our fathers had met each other during their struggling days.

What does World Music Day signify for you?
Sonu: India is now the melting pot of music. Our country has always had traditional, classical knowledge of music, but now there are some singers in India who can sing jazz in classical sargam! No other country in the world can do this. People like Shaan have so much love in their voice, people like Arijit (Singh) are so astoundingly versatile, and we also have young singers like Salman Ali. We have so much talent here including producers, arrangers, programmers and sound engineers. India has become the hub of music talent and world music, and we should celebrate.
Shaan: Music is a universal language and there is no part on earth where it isn’t celebrated, and no Indian celebrations can happen without music. So, to have one day in the name of music across the world makes a lot of sense. Music is the glue that holds the world together. World Music Day is perfect to bring the world together with music.

Tell us about the first time you both met.
Shaan: We met at composer Babul Bose’s recording. Once I was sitting at the T Series office and aap dub kar rahe theyy, that’s when I first saw you.
Sonu: We were recording for Babul Bose, and he came in. He had long hair in those days. First minute se hamari bonding bahut acchi hui. I first heard of Shaan was from composer-musician Raju Singh. We were at a studio when Raju ne kaha, ‘Sonu sunn zara. Ek naya singer hai, uska naam Raja hai. Expressions dekh iss ladke ka, feel dekh iski.’ When I heard the song, I was blown.

Haven’t you ever had skirmishes, fights?
Sonu: Ek baar aisa hua tha, bahut saalon pehle ki baat hai and then I didn’t speak with Shaan for six-seven months.
Shaan: Yes. That was a misunderstanding we had. It was some miscommunication and luckily, we cleared that out.
---------------------------------
Sonu had created a song for Shaan and his wife Radhika after attending a party hosted by the couple. “We were leaving Shaan’s home after a very late-night party and he and Radhika came to drop us to our car. On the spot I created a song in the style of composers Laxmikant–Pyarelal and singer Shabbir Kumar and sang it for them. It’s titled ‘Hospitality’ (and sang it for us),” says Sonu.

Shaan adds, “It had an LP feel to it in Shabbir bhai’s awaaz. And since that night, he sings this song for us every time after a party. We have had some great times. There have been parties at our Karjat farmhouse.”