'What Has Padma Shri Got To Do With My Father,' Asks Adnan Sami

Madhureeta Mukherjee (BOMBAY TIMES; June 23, 2023)

There is a lot to know about Adnan Sami, beyond his music. The gifted musician has been through life-changing experiences, personally and in his musical journey. In a heart-to-heart, he tells us what keeps him on the beat in love, marriage and music.

Some time ago, before releasing your song Alvida, you had deleted all your previous social media posts and said that it was a fresh start for you — Adnan 2. 0. What was it like to reinvent yourself?
There is a belief that to have a hit (song) is one of the easiest things, but to follow it up is a challenge. For your first hit, you have a whole lifetime, as no one knows you and nor is anyone waiting for it. But to follow it up with another, the pressure mounts up. You need to do that in six months at least, and in today’s times, even less. So, it is important to reinvent as that’s the key to longevity, more so today, as the world is moving at a fast pace. You have to reinvent and let go of your baggage.

You found success soon after you stepped into the music industry here and given your talent, you could have recorded far more songs in all these years, but you haven’t. Why?
Everyone has their own philosophy of how they want to approach their career, to each his own. Some people think that they need to churn out something every week, else they will become irrelevant. I have been stingy on that front; I have never felt the need to go into factory mode in creating music. I know my music and art... I am a pianist, composer, singer (Indian classical, Western and Jazz), and instead of quantity, I want a diverse body of work. I want to contribute to the field of music, whether it is filmi, commercial, pop music or any other genre. Whatever I will do... jaan laga doonga usme.

Since the time you came to Mumbai in 1999 to pursue a career in music, what do you think has changed in terms of the treatment of the music in our movies, and the kind of music that the audience demands?
Today, our cinema has become far more real, but the Indian audience needs their musical fix. So, there is music in our movies, but often in the backdrop. Earlier, we had 8-9 songs, today, there are about two-three songs, or sometimes no songs. I am fine with that, but what I have an issue with is that I feel in the garb of trying to be safe, musicians apni creativity ko kill kar rahe hai. Play it safe, but at least create something new. What you are doing right now is rehashing.

Every generation has the right to have certain songs that they can call their own and we need to give them that. I say that songs like Chura Liya Hai Tumne and Baahon Mein Chale Aao define my time. When aaj ka banda says Chura Liya Hai is mine, I say excuse me... that’s not yours, that’s mine.

Some of your most popular creations (Tera Chehra, Kabhi Toh Nazar Milao, Bheegi Bheegi Raaton Mein) are love songs. In your personal life, you have experienced love and heartbreak more than once. Has it changed the way you view love and marriage?
I’ve had an eventful life in that department. I’ve unfortunately had two failed marriages and sometimes, due to such disappointments, you can become cynical and bitter. But I have never been bitter about love. I am an incurable romantic and a big believer in love. My music kept me sane through it all. Music was my psychiatrist, my go-to place. When it comes to marriage, I had my parents as role models. Even today, my mother is as much in love with my father (who has passed away), if not more. I was yearning for that kind of love and that’s why I didn’t give up.

I believe that you are penning your biography, how is that coming along?
My biography is almost complete. When you read it, you will feel that you are reading a Bollywood potboiler, my life has been nothing short of that. My life is one incredible journey, and I am not exaggerating. My journey has left some scars which I bury, and maybe, I use humour and music as a defence mechanism to keep sailing. I have learnt that we should keep life simple and transparent, as life is too short. When you have been through so much of shit, then you don’t give a shit anymore. Ultimately, we are all going to die and there is no sequel, so keep it simple. That is the way I look at life.