‘EXCITED TO SHARE WITH MY IN-LAWS WHAT EID MEANS’
Shama Sikander is looking forward to celebrating Eid-ul-Adha with husband James Milliron’s family in Atlanta
Syeda Eba Fatima (HINDUSTAN TIMES; June 29, 2023)

Eid-ul-Adha, for Shama Sikander, is all about getting together with her loved ones. This year, the actor, who is in Atlanta (USA), looks forward to introducing her in-laws and extended family to the festival.

Sikander, who got married to American businessman James Milliron in March last year, tells us, “I will be celebrating with my in-laws and James’ cousins. I’m not sure how good of a cook I am, but I’ll make biryani for everyone. It’ll be nice to show my in-laws and extended family what Eid celebrations are like back home.”

The actor is someone who picks out her ethnic best for festivities and often posts pictures on social media, all dressed up. But this year, she was unable to shop for “something nice and traditional”, given her impromptu trip to Atlanta.

“Nevertheless, I’m happy as it’s going to be a different experience celebrating with my husband’s family. I’m excited to share with them what Eid means to us,” she says.

For the 41-year-old, Eid holds a lot more significance than just another festival. “Eid-ul-Adha has been more about philanthropy and giving back to the community,” she says, adding, “As a child, I remember spending a large part of the day going around giving food to people.”

Sikander goes on to give a glimpse of what celebrations looked like at home: “The day would start with prayers, followed by preparing a lot of good food with my mum. The first half of the day would be spent welcoming guests and serving them... I fondly remember visiting my relatives’ homes and receiving numerous gifts and Eidi. I always cherish those days.”

‘EXCITED TO SHARE WITH MY IN-LAWS WHAT EID MEANS’