Kaliyon Ka Chaman actress Meghna Naidu talks about being stereotyped
Neha Maheshwri (BOMBAY TIMES; June 10, 2023)

After staying away from the spotlight for almost five years, Meghna Naidu, best known for her performance in the remix version of the song Kaliyon Ka Chaman, is back where she believes she belongs – in front of the camera. Around 13 years ago, the actress made Dubai her new home and later got married to Portuguese tennis player Luis Miguel Reis in 2016.

Last seen in Sasural Simar Ka in 2016, Meghna continued to travel to India whenever exciting work opportunities came her way. She says, “I decided to return to India from Dubai because I didn’t want my work to suffer. I have a home in Goa and my husband feels more at ease there. He is quite intimidated by the traffic and population of Mumbai (laughs!). So, I will be commuting between Goa and Mumbai for work.”

‘I AM GLAD THAT I AM RETURNING AT A TIME WHEN ACTORS HAVE MORE OPTIONS TO EXPERIMENT’
“Being stereotyped is common, especially in the Hindi film industry. While I initially enjoyed the attention and labels of being ‘hot’ and ‘sexy’, I realized that it was hindering my growth as an artiste. I was looked upon as a sex object and it was frustrating. I declined roles in Hindi films that required me to do kissing or lovemaking scenes. People couldn’t see beyond my screen image, and I yearned for diverse roles. I stopped attending events and parties because I was tired of being called a B-grade actress. Sure, I have done small-budget movies, but the makers showed great respect to me during the making. I am glad that I am returning at a time when actors have more options to experiment.”
-----------------------------------------------
"I don't mind portraying a character that's hot and sexy, but I can't be limited to doing just that. I have watched some OTT series in which intimate scenes seem forcibly incorporated. I don't mind doing it, but that should be the requirement of the script"
-----------------------------------------------
"I want to show my real avatar to the audience and not an image created by a song or a few films. I am also keen on talking up a TV show but preferably a finite series"