REGIONAL ACTORS CALL OUT BOLLYWOOD
Bengali actor Prosenjit Chatterjee’s ‘Bollywood does not offer a lot of work to regional actors’ remark has found the support of a number of such artistes. Some of them share their tales of struggle and survival
Syeda Eba Fatima (HINDUSTAN TIMES; June 10, 2023)

REGIONAL ACTORS CALL OUT BOLLYWOOD

Seerat Kapoor, Telugu actor
Yes, I have faced rejections [in the Hindi film industry]. But, I am not one to take rejections in a negative way. I believe that if you understand who you are as an actor and what you can bring to the table, sooner or later, you will attract people (makers) who will capitalise on that. If a movie has not worked out, it does not mean you don’t fit it. So, I am okay to let those [projects] go.

Pratik Gandhi, Gujarati actor
Forget getting rejected; regional actors from Gujarat are not even given opportunities to audition. Even if they do, it’s very hard to bag the project. Also, Gujarati actors trying to enter Bollywood are typecast. The characters offered are caricature-ish — someone who is loud, funny and has a very heavy accent. I did a few projects like those initially, like Mitron (2018)... It’s difficult to break that image.

Raima Sen, Bengali actor
They (Hindi filmmakers) use us mostly when the film is loosely based on Bengal. Also, in Bollywood, it’s about survival of the fittest. There are new faces trying to step into the industry every day. There is enough talent there; they (makers) want to protect their people and give them a chance. I understand all of this because we also make a couple of films with people from Mumbai. But, we also need to protect our industry and work with our own people.

Navin Prabhakar, Marathi actor and comedian
In the last 12 years, every time I tried to step into the Hindi film industry, I felt there is a lot of partiality. The first thing we get to hear is, ‘We need an upmarket look’. Also, there is a lot of negotiation that happens when it comes to our salary. Itna zyada ho jaata hai ki kabhi kabhi main kaam hi chhodh deta hoon.

Siddharth Jadhav, Marathi actor
I’m happy working in regional films. I take opportunities from Hindi filmmakers as and when they’re offered to me; I’m not desperately looking for it. Whatever work I am doing in Bollywood is because of my Marathi filmography. When they see me doing good work, I get good offers from Hindi filmmakers, like Rohit Shetty.

REGIONAL ACTORS CALL OUT BOLLYWOOD