‘I FELT ADDING
K-POP BEATS TO
JIMMY JIMMY
WOULD BE FUN’
K-pop singer Aoora talks about his love for Bollywood music and working on Bappi Lahiri’s cult classic
Aakanksha Bajpai (HINDUSTAN TIMES; June 7, 2023)

The Indian love affair with K-pop musicians is no news. But it’s not one-sided anymore. Over the years, we have seen international stars falling in love with Indian culture. Treading the same path is K-pop singer, rapper and music producer Park Min-jun aka Aoora, who was in India recently. He has come up with a K-pop version of late musician Bappi Lahiri’s cult classic Jimmy Jimmy (Disco Dancer; 1982).

Aoora shares, “A year ago, I heard the Bollywood song Cham Cham (Baaghi; 2016) and it drove me to exploring Hindi film music. I feel the energy and grandeur of Bollywood vibe with my personality. This is one major reason why I love Indian music. I was very drawn to the energetic beats and grand visuals of Bollywood songs. I heard Jimmy Jimmy about two months ago and found it very upbeat. I felt adding K-pop beats to it would be fun.”

However, it’s not the first time that Aoora has sung a Hindi song. He has been doing mashups of them for some time now on social media. While revisiting the song, he made sure he kept the ’80s flavour of Jimmy Jimmy alive. He explains, “I wanted to retain the original essence of this beautiful Bollywood song and wanted to create one that had K-pop feel as well as the 80’s essence. I am glad we could achieve that.”

The K-pop artiste adores Indian musician King and wishes to work with him. “I love his song Maan Meri Jaan and if I get the chance, I would love to collaborate with him,” he says.

Aoora is also looking forward to some Indo-Korean projects. He says, “Apart from bringing both the cultures together through music, I also plan to do something in the fashion space, which is my second passion after music.”