Shaadi, Oscar, films: Guneet Monga now wants a small break
Rishabh Suri (HINDUSTAN TIMES; May 1, 2023)

From getting married to winning a coveted statuette for her documentary The Elephant Whisperers, the past few months have been nothing short of eventful for Guneet Monga. Now, the Oscar-winning producer just wants to take a pause — and the month of May seems to be her designated downtime.

“April was really busy; my show Gutur Gu released. In May, my film with (actor) Sanya Malhotra [will be out]... I know it sounds ridiculous, but I really want to take some time off. Shaadi bhi kari, Oscar bhi [jeeta], aur do-teen releases bhi hain. Literally for me, it’s ‘everything everywhere all at once’,” says Monga, in a witty reference to the award-winning film of the same name.

An Oscar win would naturally translate into more offers, and so is the case with the 39-year-old: “Yes, there is a massive influx of work offers, both nationally and internationally. But I have just not had time over the last month... I am literally telling people, ‘Meet me in June.’”

In all of this, has she had the chance to process her historic win? “I’ve had no time to do that! [But] I am just grateful for all of it and for the love the country has been giving us,” she says.

And to reciprocate this love, Monga has been carrying the trophy along everywhere, letting people hold it and feel it: “It (the statuette) is for the whole country, so why not? All of us manifested it together!”