Javed Akhtar: Shabana, Zoya to accompany me

Despite spending almost five decades in the industry, the lyricist refuses to take a pause; wants to do things he has not done yet
Rishabh Suri (HINDUSTAN TIMES; April 2, 2023)

He is 78, but Javed Akhtar refuses to slow down. Having started his career in the 1970s, the lyricist-writer is raring to work more, as he feels there’s a lot that’s yet to be done. “I want to do things that I have not done yet — from prose writing and script writing to delivering talks. I also haven’t done as many appearances at events as I should have,” he quips.

Ask the Gully Boy (2019) lyricist what gives him validation for the kind of work he has done so far and Akhtar says it’s not his right to decide. “I can only decide that I tried to do it with my best efforts. Whether it was good or ordinary is for the others to decide,” says the veteran, who is writing dialogues for the upcoming film The Archies, helmed by his daughter, director Zoya Akhtar.

Besides being lauded for his writing, the Padma Bhushan recipient has also been honoured for his contribution to the world of writing a lot of times. And now, he has been conferred an Honorary Doctorate by SOAS University of London. “This was a pleasant surprise and I am overwhelmed. This is my fourth doctorate. The convocation is on September 7 this year and I am definitely going for it,” says the five-time National Film Award-winning writer.

Ask what such honours mean to him, and Akhtar says, “Some honours are given rather lightly and taken lightly. But certain awards, like Padma Bhushan, and this doctorate make you feel honoured. When I got the Richard Dawkins Award, I was — and I still am — the only Indian to receive it. As far as film awards are concerned, I have been given many and I feel thankful.”
-------------------------------------------
Grateful for being conferred an Honorary Doctorate by the School of Oriental And African Studies, Javed Aktar on prepping for the September London gala
Upala KBR (MID-DAY; April 2, 2023)

Five-time National Award-winner Javed Akhtar was conferred an Honorary Doctorate by the School of Oriental And African Studies (SOAS), University of London, this week.

Akhtar says the announcement came as a surprise, and the acknowledgement embodies all that he has attempted to do as a writer.  “The citation read, ‘We would like to confer upon you a Doctor of Literature (DLit) (honoris causa) in recognition of your significant contribution as a poet, lyricist, screenwriter, and political activist.’ This is everything I’ve worked for all my life. To have my modest efforts recognised by one of the most prestigious universities in the world is a big honour. I am thankful,” he says, adding that this honour marks his third doctorate.

“Shabana [Azmi] has received five, so we have been Drs for some time now.”

Eager to be part of the event that will be held from September 5 to 7, Akhtar says he will be accompanied by Azmi and daughter Zoya. Prod Azmi on which of the three contributions of Akhtar, a lyricist, screen-writer and political activist, has been most significant, and she says, “I don’t think I can separate one aspect of Javed from the others because it is the same world view that shapes his work across all. Only the medium is different. He is a good poet and lyricist because he is a compassionate human being.”

Honorary Doctorates are given to individuals with outstanding achievements in areas relevant to the school’s work. Earlier, Akhtar was conferred Honorary Doctorates by Pondicherry University and Jamia Hamdard University, while Azmi has been conferred by  Leeds University, Jamia Millia Islamia, among others.