‘NOW THEY WILL KNOW I’M A GOOD ACTOR TOO’
With his acting comeback, pugilist Vijender Singh hopes to punch above his weight
Sugandha Rawal (HINDUSTAN TIMES; April 23, 2023)

It’s after nine years that Vijender Singh is giving Bollywood another chance. Starring alongside Salman Khan in Kisi Ka Bhai Kisi Ki Jaan (KKBKKJ), the boxing ace is confident to put across the message that he’s just as proficient facing the camera as he is in the ring.

Singh, who was last seen in Fugly in 2014, plays the antagonist in KKBKKJ, a job that has in the past been entrusted to performers like Sonu Sood and Prakash Raj. How that came to pass was courtesy a phone call from Khan. “Last year, I was training in the United Kingdom when, all of a sudden, I started getting calls from [Salman] Bhai. I avoid phone calls after 10, and he was calling me at midnight or 1am. I thought aise hi pareshan kar rahe hain,” Singh laughs.

And so, intending to get back at Khan lightheartedly, the 37-year-old called him back one day. “He asked me, ‘Viju, where are you?’ He then told me about the project. I asked if he would star in the film and if I would have scenes with him — and agreed. I didn’t ask anything else ke story kya hai, negative hai ya positive hai.”

The pugilist reveals Khan has taken on a bigger role as Singh’s mentor. “I am doing something with Bhai, but can’t talk about it. He is guiding me this time, telling me what and what not to do. He’s like my godfather. Bollywood mein unhone mujhe dobaara bulaaya, saying ke tu aaja, main hun tere saath”.

But what kept him away all this while? The Olympic medalist shares, “I got busy with professional boxing in the UK, and had to stay there for that, which led to the delay. I got some offers in between but couldn’t take them up as my base was in the UK. I came to India after Covid, and am now starting again,” says the boxer, who is determined to keep his “focus on both his careers”.

When it comes to acting, Singh knows well to roll with the punches and make the best use of his opportunities. “I am a good boxer, but I am a good actor, too. People will know that now. Acting is all about expressing and feeling. I have seen a gamut of emotions — from being from a village, jidhar humaare paas kuchh nahin tha, to seeing stardom and dealing with controversies. I’ve been through a lot and can express all emotions,” he ends.