BIRTHDAYS ARE
STRICTLY A
‘FAMILY AFFAIR’
FOR MANOJ

The actor shares he is embarrassed about birthday celebrations; adds going to parties isn’t his thing
Rishabh Suri (HINDUSTAN TIMES; April 23, 2023)

Manoj Bajpayee is a family man, and we are not talking about his popular web show by the same name. He prefers to celebrate his birthdays (April 23) with his family, minus any parties or work.

“I don’t celebrate my birthday; I spend time with my wife (actor Shabana Raza) and daughter (Ava). Only once did I have a party (his 50th birthday), which was organized by my wife. I was quite exhausted and embarrassed about it. I don’t feel comfortable with this whole birthday situation. I do it for my daughter, who finds an occasion to celebrate, it’s for the family,” he makes it clear.

The 53-year-old, who was recently seen in the film Gulmohar (2023) with actor Sharmila Tagore, recalls when he had to go out for parties, during his struggling days in the film industry. “Initially, post Satya (1998), I couldn’t say no to the parties, I was not in that position. After so many years now, people have gotten used to me. I like to stay at home, sleep and wake up early,” he says.

Does the fact about growing old bother him, since numbers matter in an actor’s life? “It doesn’t play on my mind. Even if it does on anyone’s, how does it matter? Anyone who is born has to grow old and die. You just pray you keep getting choices and keep doing all the things with freedom. That’s all that matters,” quips Bajpayee.