kareena kapoor chat show episodes

Debarati S Sen (BOMBAY TIMES; March 24, 2023)

Whatever it is that Kareena Kapoor Khan does, she dives right into it with spontaneity, spunk and confidence. Whether it is a challenging role on screen, hosting a show, or playing super mom to her kids — she gives it all she’s got. In an interview with Bombay Times for What Women Want — Season 4, which streams new episodes on the Mirchi Plus App every Wednesday and on Mirchi Plus’ YouTube channel every Friday at 11 am, the actress talks about what’s new and exciting about this season of the show, completing 23 years in the industry, and how her passion drives her. Excerpts:

This is the fourth season of the show. Tell us about it...
This is the fourth season of What Women Want and it’s an honour and pleasure to be doing this for another season. The audience’s love has made us come back and do this once again.

This time we are looking forward to having a lot of interesting men on our show because we have always had women come and talk about what they want. In this season, we have a lot of men who have come forward and are ready to share their thoughts on different fields. I am looking forward to interviewing all of them.

So, is that what will set this season apart from the rest?
This season will be different. We always choose personalities who have left an impact. The fact is that the digital world has grown and is creating so much content. So, we have influencers and interesting personalities who have made a mark in different industries coming as guests.

After 23 years in the industry, you are choosing different kinds of roles, doing a podcast, trying out newer things and still going strong. What has been your biggest takeaway?
My biggest takeaway is that nothing lasts forever, whether it is success or failure. What really lasts is your goodwill, dedication, the characters to play on screen and the films that you have chosen to do. Basically, what you will be remembered for is whether you were a good artiste or not. It is ultimately all about that. People talk about you in a certain way; I would always want that when people talk about me, they say that I am a lovely person. That should be the primary feeling. That is the feeling you get when you watch my characters like Geet, (Jab We Met) and Poo (Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham) because they were loveable characters. So, the key is to give the world lovable characters.

Over the last two decades, your stardom and fan following haven’t relied on the movies you did or how they fared at the box office. You have remained the quintessential Bollywood star. What do you think made the difference?
I think, most importantly, I am honest to my work, to myself, my loved ones and I am honest to the characters that I portray on screen. Somehow, I feel that when we are not being true to our profession and are doing things for the sake of it, people can tell. So, for me it is always like that – whether I am talking to someone, whether I love someone, or I am performing on screen, I do it all very passionately. So, I think that somehow does set me apart, because I am extremely passionate about whatever I do.

Do you think that you have reached a point in your career where box office numbers don’t perturb you?
The box office will always matter, but obviously, I am not competing with anyone. I am in a happy space because I have always chosen to do what I want to do, and I am lucky with that. When I wanted to get married, I did, and it was when no actress was getting married. Today, so many actresses are getting married! It is suddenly cool to be married and working. Earlier, it was about not having children. Then suddenly, it was like…okay you can have a child as well and still be working. I have always done things that I love and believe in.

You are a hands-on mother to Taimur and Jeh, and you are managing your career really well. Do you plan your work around your kids’ schedule?
I think I am very good at time management, and when I know this is what I have to do, then I come to work early so that I can leave early. I like to be at home when my kids are eating their dinner, and that time is my time, and nobody can take that away. Whatever happens, I don’t waver from that, like I will not pick up any calls or be accessible for work because that is not my time for work, it is my time with my family and that is of utmost priority to me always.