Singer Alka Yagnik Becomes 2022's Most Streamed Artist On YouTube

Singer talks about being the most streamed artiste in 2022 with 15.3b streams, beating the big names
Preeti Atulkar (BOMBAY TIMES; February 5, 2023)

Having sung several blockbuster songs in various languages in her career spanning over four decades, Alka Yagnik is delighted to have achieved another milestone by becoming the most streamed artiste online in 2022. She has outpaced rapper Bad Bunny, Korean band BTS, Taylor Swift, and many other international music sensations. “I got very emotional when I heard the news,” shares the playback singer as she recollects her reaction.

“Seeing many renowned singers from various parts of the world featured in the list, I felt happy that I could do something for my country, in my own little way, as an Indian artiste. This also proves that millions of people across the world are listening to our music,” says Alka, who talks about her journey and the current music scenario.

‘LATA AND KISHORE ARE MY FAVOURITES’
While the whole world is listening to her, Alka listens to Lata Mangeshkar and Kishore Kumar. “They are my all-time favourites. So, when I am listening to music, these legends are always with me,” she says.

Reflecting on her journey so far, she mentions that she wasn’t as ambitious as a child, but her mother, Shubha Yagnik, who was a classical singer, trained her. “My parents wanted me to be out there so the world could listen to me, and, gradually, I started to enjoy my work. My parents were my strong pillars and encouraged me throughout my journey. I wish they were alive today.”

‘THE SOUL IN SONGS HAS GONE MISSING’
Sharing her views on changing trends in the world of music, she says she appreciates how Indian artistes are open to experimentation. “We have also become more technically advanced with time. Sound gimmicks and rhythm patterns are in use now. But, I feel that, somewhere, the soul in songs has gone missing, and it needs to be brought back. Songs today should have substance, intensity, and more lyrical value.”

‘DIFFICULT TO HAVE A STRONG REPERTOIRE TODAY’
Pointing out the reason why newer singers aren’t able to build a good body of work, she says, “There are so many talented music artistes today. But, not many are able to sustain themselves. The primary reason for this is the fact that work is getting divided somewhere. It is getting difficult to have a strong repertoire of songs. Artists don’t have the kind of body of work that my contemporaries and I had back in the 90s.”

DID YOU KNOW?
Alka Yagnik was only 14 when she sang her first playback song for the film Payal Ki Jhankaar in 1980.

ALKA’S STELLAR CAREER
* 40 years – a long career that started in the 80s
* 8,000 songs sung in various Indian languages
* 20 tracks featured in BBC’s list of top 40 Bollywood soundtracks of all-time
* 331 weeks on the chart with 371 million views
* 42 million streams daily on an average in 2022
* 17 billion streams in 2021
* 16.6 billion streams in 2020