Sonu Nigam

Debarati S Sen (BOMBAY TIMES; February 19, 2023)

Sonu Nigam has been an integral part of the music industry for the last three decades. Despite the influx of new talent in the world of music, he is on the top of everyone’s minds when it comes to pure melodies like Main Ki Karaan and Kahani (Laal Singh Chaddha) or foot-tapping numbers like the Shehzada title track. In an exclusive interview, he talks about singing for Pritam again, being active in the Indie music scene and missing his family and more. Excerpts:

You have recently worked a lot with composer Pritam. Tell us about your association with him.
There’s been a renewed association with Pritam lately and after Laal Singh Chaddha and Dunki, and I truly love it. Apparently, director Rohit Dhawan and Pritam decided to approach me for the title track of Shehzada as they needed a blend of vigour and expression conveyed with innocence in that song. And the song has turned out to be one of my all-time favourites.

You sang two melodious songs — Kahani and Main Ki Karaan — in Laal Singh Chaddha. Do you feel that they had the potential to catch on and become far more popular?
The credit for Laal Singh Chaddha goes to both Aamir (Khan) and Pritam. The movie, unfortunately, was plagued by negativity. Otherwise, the songs I sang would have reached the level of Kal Ho Naa Ho. But I always say that every piece of art comes with its own destiny. Today, Kahani and Main Ki Karaan are a staple at my concerts.

You have recently sung for an OTT release, worked on many singles and also lent your voice to spiritual songs in the last year. Professionally, how has the last year been?
The last year-and-a-half has been unbelievable in terms of quality of work. The Mission Majnu song Maati Ko Maa Kehte Hain is a beautiful track, which was released around Republic Day this year. The Indie music scene that I’ve been a part of is so diverse — be it Rangrezwa and Yaad for Jam8 or Ruk Ja for Salim Sulaiman’s Bhoomi 3, I have received so much love for them. Then there are two tracks, Hanuman Chalisa and now Mahamrityunjaya Mantra, releasing under my label. These have been very exciting times. And then there are also my regional songs and concerts!

On the work front, you seem to be on a roll.
Honestly, I am overwhelmed with the volume and quality of work. The aggressive Sonu of the 1990s and 2000s is long dead; so this new calm and satisfied version is unable to relate to all this, although I have seen all this before too. But internally, I’m thankful to the universe; after all, good work comes from good karma. It’s a blessing to have worked with so many geniuses in the last 31 years in Mumbai, who have enriched my life. God definitely loves me.

Your family is in Dubai, while your work keeps you in Mumbai and also takes you across the world for your concerts. Do you miss your family?
I miss spending time with my family in Dubai as work commitments need me to be in Mumbai and the rest of India. Sometimes, I don’t get to meet my father for weeks despite being in India, but they know that I’m fulfilling my destiny.