Amit Sadh wants to work in films down South

Ashish Kumar Singh (HINDUSTAN TIMES; January 20, 2023)

As the craze of pan-India films continues to gain momentum and break box-office records, it’s only understandable to see many in Bollywood wanting to take that route — actor Amit Sadh being the latest of the lot. All praise for films being made by makers in the Telugu, Malayalam, Tamil and Kannada industries, he wishes to walk that road someday.

“This is the first time I am sharing that I’ve sent my showreel to casting directors down south, saying that if there is a good role, please consider me,” reveals Sadh, who was last seen in the second season of the web series Breathe: Into the Shadows.

Calling the Kannada film Kantara (2022) a “cinematic marvel”, he adds, “It speaks volumes of the richness of creative expression Rishab (Shetty; actor-director) and his team put forth.”

Sadh confesses it’s the climax of the film that floored him. “I keep reliving those scenes... I want to know how Rishab did it. Without a doubt, it’s one of the best performances in cinema from across the globe that I have seen in my entire life. It’s a top-notch creative expression,” he shares.

More than the films being made, the 39-year-old says it’s the “work culture” that he really admires. He adds, “I like the discipline they imbibe. While I work here (Bollywood), I’d like to bring that mindset to the movies I do. Whenever there is a good role for me [in a south Indian language film], I will just jump the gun.”

However, the actor believes it’s not fair to compare Hindi films to those of south Indian languages. “It’s all Indian cinema. In every language, there are films that work and those that don’t. Great filmmakers are everywhere. Jo mehnat karega, uski film achhi hogi aur chalegi. There is nothing like south or east, north or west,” he concludes.